Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can you only read the Time Machine backup on the computer that generated it?

My Early 2008 iMac started to fail (would restart spontaneously without being requested); but, I was able to successfully complete a Time Machine backup to my Time Capsule, where I also do Time Machine backups of my MacBook Air. The iMac was running El Capitan (couldn't upgrade it to a later Mac OS X because of its Early 2008 hardware). It no longer starts up (gets part way through and spontaneously tries a restart). It had some applications that aren't on my MacBook Air, that I would like to add to my MacBook Air. Is there an application/utility out there that can "Enter Time Machine" ; but, using the Time Machine backup from another computer? If not, Apple should create one (it would be very useful in cases like mine).

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 11, 2019 11:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2019 5:38 AM

When I tried your suggestion, the "Enter Time Machine" display that showed up after choosing the iMac Time Machine backup, had a backup listed for yesterday; but, nothing earlier (I was looking for what I had backed up July 1, not July 11). There was no July 11 iMac backup; so, though it's supposed to be using the iMac backup, the "Enter Time Machine" display must be still using some local file for the MacBook Air's backups (I did do one there July 11 at the listed time).

But, thank you for providing Browse Other Backup Disks. That gave me something to search for, and found LaPastenague’s Profile - Apple Community detailed answer to Time Machine - can't access backups o… - Apple Community, which gave me what I needed. Sorry about reposting essentially the same question again here.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2019 5:38 AM in response to John Galt

When I tried your suggestion, the "Enter Time Machine" display that showed up after choosing the iMac Time Machine backup, had a backup listed for yesterday; but, nothing earlier (I was looking for what I had backed up July 1, not July 11). There was no July 11 iMac backup; so, though it's supposed to be using the iMac backup, the "Enter Time Machine" display must be still using some local file for the MacBook Air's backups (I did do one there July 11 at the listed time).

But, thank you for providing Browse Other Backup Disks. That gave me something to search for, and found LaPastenague’s Profile - Apple Community detailed answer to Time Machine - can't access backups o… - Apple Community, which gave me what I needed. Sorry about reposting essentially the same question again here.

Why can you only read the Time Machine backup on the computer that generated it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.