Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VM on regular hardware?

Apple use to only allow a virtual machine of MacOS if you were running Apple's hardware with it. Has Apple relented and started allowing MacOS to be installed as a virtual machine on regular hardware now?

I ask this because of this:

https://github.com/myspaghetti/macos-guest-virtualbox

iMac Pro

Posted on Jul 12, 2019 9:21 PM

14 replies

Jul 12, 2019 10:21 PM in response to dialabrain

I wish Apple would change it wicked ways. Be nice to have a MacOS VM along with my other VM's for customer research. I am not about to purchase a Mac for such. So far I have been able to find everything I need on the web and places like this. And if push came to shove, there are places on the web that will allow you to "rent" a Mac

Thank you for such a prompt response!

Last Wednesday, I managed to crash Text Edit. Chuckle.

Jul 14, 2019 2:41 AM in response to dialabrain

I see customer all the time with Mac's. They don't know the OS from a stapler. They buy Mac's because they are sick and tired of all the quality issues with Windows. It is common for me to have to teach them how to exit programs and how to reboot their computers. They don't even know that Mac hardware can run Windows and Linux. They are not even surprised when I get tired of the Apple Straight Jacket and boot off my Linux USB stick to configure things on the network. Linux has all the cool tools, like arp-scan. They are not buying Macs for the OS. They are buying NOT WINDOWS and all the junky hardware that goes with it. (Their fault for buying cheap hardware. )

If Apple won't let me run Mac OS on a VM, there are other ways around it besides pirate methods. 1) rent a Mac on line, or 2) Go To Assist into the customer machine and work directly on the belly of the beast!

Thank you guys for all the assistance and tips!

-T

Jul 14, 2019 3:01 AM in response to ToddAndMagro

a lot of what beef people has with windows is the fragmented hardware platform which leads to driver issues and things which integrate and works less perfectly together, if macOS could officially be installed on the same fragmented hardware platform I'm sure it would face challenges too.

as far as I know you can install macOS on parallels virtual machine

Jul 14, 2019 4:03 AM in response to ToddAndMagro

ToddAndMagro wrote:

They are not buying Macs for the OS. They are buying NOT WINDOWS and all the junky hardware that goes with it. (Their fault for buying cheap hardware. )

Considering how many people install Windows on Apple hardware using Boot Camp or as VMs, your "logic" escapes me. If you have some sensible theory on why Apple doesn't want people to install macOS besides they are "wicked", I'm all ears.

Jul 14, 2019 3:20 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

I see hundreds of computers every years. I was not bashing Windows. I was relaying what I hear from Apple users as to why they picked Apple. Either they or one of their friends have had experience with the quality issues with Windows and had picked Apple to get around them. And Windows has the YUGE market share because of the available applicaion base, not because folks like Window. And yes there are alternatives to the YUGE application base, but it 1) required they learn something new, and 2) many have a lot of short comings: Gnu Cash does not do payroll or inventory, PDF Studio does not do Dynamic XFA forms, LibreOffice is not "exactly" M$ Office (the learn something new thing), and no point of sale software (there is but...)

When I work on Linux and Apple, it is a whole different situation. I am installing and configuring things and assisting with functionality. It is the same with Windows, except that the overwhelming amount of the time, I am fixing endless system issues. It is actually a lot of fun to work on Apple and Linux, except for that terrible Apple keyboard (I know how to type). As soon as the Apps catch up to Apple and Linux, Windows is gone. Unfortunately, I don't think they ever will: software houses don't like to maintain multiple OS versions, users don't want to learn anything new, and Wine is really buggy. To be quite honest, without the quality issues with Windows, I would not have a job. I am sorry you took this as bashing. I am just reporting.

Also, customers really do care what OS they run. They just what their apps to run reliably.

VM on regular hardware?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.