Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine completed a verification of your backups on “WDMyCloud.local”. To improve reliability, Time Machine must create a new backup for you.

Time Machine completed a verification of your backups on “WDMyCloud.local”. To improve reliability, Time Machine must create a new backup for you.

I get this whenever MacBook boots up even after successful backup has been done. Its a real pain and takes too long to complete every time I reboot . I think it is since my mac Os upgraded to 64bit.

My time machine backup is on seperate drive on my network where it has always been since day one.

My system is

Mojave ver 10.14.5

MacBook Pro Retina,15-inch, Late 2013

2Ghz intel i7

16 GB Ram

Posted on Jul 13, 2019 3:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2019 4:11 AM

Well Barney,

Maybe thinking back on the presumed forced update as some of my apps stopped working and eventually caught up and updated themselves to 64bit maybe they miss led me to thinking the OS was just updated , I'm no expert but this was only recently .

Not sure how to tell what protocol the NAS is using.

Anyhow I have stopped using the NAS for Time Machine Backups after your help and I am using a 2.5 USB3 drive .

All appears to work fine now with none of the previous notifications.

Thanks for your time Barney

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2019 4:11 AM in response to Barney-15E

Well Barney,

Maybe thinking back on the presumed forced update as some of my apps stopped working and eventually caught up and updated themselves to 64bit maybe they miss led me to thinking the OS was just updated , I'm no expert but this was only recently .

Not sure how to tell what protocol the NAS is using.

Anyhow I have stopped using the NAS for Time Machine Backups after your help and I am using a 2.5 USB3 drive .

All appears to work fine now with none of the previous notifications.

Thanks for your time Barney

Jul 15, 2019 5:40 AM in response to ZiggyM1

My mac only forced me recently to update to 64bit

No, the Mac OS has been 64-bit for 13 years. Next macOS will cease support for 32-bit app--after over a decade to allow developers to get their stuff together.

My WDMyCloud 2tb drive is connected on my home Gigabit network and my MacBook all via rj45.

Ok, so what protocol do you use for file sharing to the MyCloud? AFP or SMB?

Connecting over AFP has never been supported on a NAS, but all NAS manufacturers claim they can do it. They can't. They use an unlicensed AFP hack that only sometimes works.

If the MyCloud supports Time Machine over SMB, then that is a supported destination. My guess is it doesn't.

All has been working fine for a number of years.

That's what you imagine has happened. Many of the unsupported NAS configurations appear to work when backing up. But, when it comes time to restore from the NAS, it doesn't work.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.