You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Backup and Deleted Photos

I downloaded the majority of my photos from my phone to a thumb drive, then deleted the photos from my iPhone. I backed up the iPhone and my iCloud storage is still almost full. Do I need to physically delete the photos from my iPad or will they delete automatically when I back up the iPad?

Will this process clear out the excess storage usage on iCloud?

Thank you for any information. Obviously I am confused.

iPhone SE, iOS 12

Posted on Jul 13, 2019 4:09 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2019 11:56 AM

Hi there, liamsaunt!

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! That’s a great question you have about deleting photos from iCloud to save space. Since you have downloaded the photos from iCloud and have the photos backed up, you’ll want to follow these steps for iCloud: Delete photos and videos to save storage on iCloud. This will allow you to properly remove the photos and free up storage.

Also, check out this article for additional steps to Manage your iCloud storage and free up space on iCloud.

Thanks again for the question and take care!

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 14, 2019 11:56 AM in response to liamsaunt

Hi there, liamsaunt!

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! That’s a great question you have about deleting photos from iCloud to save space. Since you have downloaded the photos from iCloud and have the photos backed up, you’ll want to follow these steps for iCloud: Delete photos and videos to save storage on iCloud. This will allow you to properly remove the photos and free up storage.

Also, check out this article for additional steps to Manage your iCloud storage and free up space on iCloud.

Thanks again for the question and take care!

iCloud Backup and Deleted Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.