Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

change from 32bit to 64bit

Not exactly sure what that means but will my current apps work if I make the change?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 13, 2019 3:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2019 4:14 PM

This is what Apple says about this: 32-bit app compatibility with macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and later - Fairly complete FAQ

https://support.apple.com/HT208436

4 replies

Jul 13, 2019 4:12 PM in response to Christi2844

Most apps were updated to 64 bit long ago but you may have some that have not. You can check by going to Apple menu > About this Mac > System Report > Software - Applications and look in the 64-bit column there.

If you have some where it says "No" in the 64-bit column, it is likely that the developer has an updated version available, although there may be a fee.

Jul 13, 2019 4:37 PM in response to Christi2844

Christi2844 Said:

...will my current apps work if I make the change?

Request a New Installation File:

FWIW, just contact the software developer, and ask if you can do a swap out for the software type (32- or 64-Bit). It would be the call of the developer as to whether or not you can swap out the drivers.

License Keys and Devices:

Most software nowadays that is not freeware would provide you with a license key card, and the license key would be valid for only a certain number of devices (Typically 1, 3, or 5 devices).

change from 32bit to 64bit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.