Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air Internal Mic not working with zoom or go to meeting. They can hear me type but not speak.

My MacBook Air Internal microphone does not work when using zoom or other meeting aps. They can heard me typing but not speaking. Also when I tape keyboard the volume display moves up and down but not when I speak.

I now get the message that my post must include text

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 13, 2019 5:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2019 1:21 PM

Hey lowerbp3,

I see that you're having some trouble with the internal microphone picking up your voice when using certain apps. I'll be happy to help out.

With one of these apps active, ensure that the internal microphone is selected in the Sound Input tab. You can check this by clicking the Apple menu > System Preferences > Sound > Input or you can follow these steps: Set up an audio device on your Mac or stream music from your Mac - Apple Support. Also make sure that "Use ambient noise reduction" is toggled on.

If you're still having trouble, test the microphone by creating a recording using the Voice Memos app. Do you hear the same issue others have described when you listen to playback of a voice recording you made?

Take care.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2019 1:21 PM in response to lowerbp3

Hey lowerbp3,

I see that you're having some trouble with the internal microphone picking up your voice when using certain apps. I'll be happy to help out.

With one of these apps active, ensure that the internal microphone is selected in the Sound Input tab. You can check this by clicking the Apple menu > System Preferences > Sound > Input or you can follow these steps: Set up an audio device on your Mac or stream music from your Mac - Apple Support. Also make sure that "Use ambient noise reduction" is toggled on.

If you're still having trouble, test the microphone by creating a recording using the Voice Memos app. Do you hear the same issue others have described when you listen to playback of a voice recording you made?

Take care.

Jul 14, 2019 1:49 PM in response to brenden dv

Thanks for your suggestion. My son just found a solution on YOUTUBE which I did not see. The problem was the tiny openings to the microphone next to the audio plug in were stuffed full of something. . I used a toothbrush with bristles to poke in and out a bit and that helped some and then I sucked and blew into the holes and that corrected the problem. What we call in Missouri-"getting out the belly button lint".

I had tried you dictation and it was not getting what I said at all. Another symptom was that people could not hear me but could hear me typing.

MacBook Air Internal Mic not working with zoom or go to meeting. They can hear me type but not speak.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.