Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to recover an iPad

Hi there, my step son got an iPad from a family friend, which we don’t have contact with anymore. Unfortunately he tried to change the password and forgot what he put! He locked us out of the iPad & when I tried to restore it through iTunes but am unable to get into it now that she has a find my device on it! Anything I can do?

Thanks

Posted on Jul 13, 2019 5:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2019 5:56 PM

Hello, lets see if we can figure this out. Just so I am on the same page as you, do you have an iPad with a passcode lock and you are unable to unlock it?

These can be frustrating situations. There is no alternate way to gain access to the device without typing in the correct passcode. The only solution would be to restore the iPad to factory settings using iTunes. There are good odds that the device is also locked with Apple’s Activation Lock. This means that once the iPad is restored to factory settings you would need to sign in with the device’s associated Apple ID in order to set the device up as new or restore its contents from a backup.

To restore your device please follow this guide on Apple Support.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201263

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2019 5:56 PM in response to elma289

Hello, lets see if we can figure this out. Just so I am on the same page as you, do you have an iPad with a passcode lock and you are unable to unlock it?

These can be frustrating situations. There is no alternate way to gain access to the device without typing in the correct passcode. The only solution would be to restore the iPad to factory settings using iTunes. There are good odds that the device is also locked with Apple’s Activation Lock. This means that once the iPad is restored to factory settings you would need to sign in with the device’s associated Apple ID in order to set the device up as new or restore its contents from a backup.

To restore your device please follow this guide on Apple Support.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201263

Jul 13, 2019 6:06 PM in response to QuickPost

It had a password we were using. But, the step son decided he would change the password and forgot what he changed it to. Then, after he attempted to log in he disabled the device completely. So, I connected to the computer and iTunes. But there is an Apple activation lock which I cannot get through.. unfortunately I don’t have contact with the lady that gave him the iPad

Jul 13, 2019 6:11 PM in response to elma289

Hello,

That is very unfortunate. Sadly there is not a whole lot you can do at this point. The only way that Activation Lock can be disabled is if the password for the associated Apple ID is entered. Not even Apple can disable Activation Lock without access to the associated Apple ID.

My apologies for having to relay bad news to you.

Jul 13, 2019 6:13 PM in response to elma289

I'm sorry, but if this is a used iPad, which was under someone else's Apple ID and has Find my iPad activated on the device, without the original owners assistance, the iPad is useless. Apple won't help you and we can't help you. You need to reach the previous owner and either ask them remove the device from their iCloud account, or buy a new iPad.

Trying to recover an iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.