Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos on iCloud with phone and laptop

I am trying to keep my pictures on my Macbook and remove them from my iphone. When I go to settings and go to the icloud photos, I am given the option to turn off the iCloud photos. Once I click on this... it asks me "do you want to download a copy of your iCloud photos to this iPhone? Photos and videos that have been optimized to save space will be removed from this iPhone. The original, full versions will still be available on other devices using iCloud photos"

Does this mean if I select remove from iphone, rather than download the photos and videos, that my photos that are on my connect mac will get deleted too? Or will they stay on the mac and the photos on my phone will be removed. I dont want to press the wrong key and lose everything.

iPhone XS Max, iOS 12

Posted on Jul 14, 2019 12:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2019 12:25 PM

Once I click on this... it asks me "do you want to download a copy of your iCloud photos to this iPhone? Photos and videos that have been optimized to save space will be removed from this iPhone. The original, full versions will still be available on other devices using iCloud photos"
Does this mean if I select remove from iphone, rather than download the photos and videos, that my photos that are on my connect mac will get deleted too? Or will they stay on the mac and the photos on my phone will be removed.

The photos will only be deleted on your phone and using the iCloud Photos syncing feature will be disabled. It should not affect any photos already on the Mac or on your Apple ID's iCloud Drive. However, you should always backup your phone before proceeding.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2019 12:25 PM in response to Nunamaker

Once I click on this... it asks me "do you want to download a copy of your iCloud photos to this iPhone? Photos and videos that have been optimized to save space will be removed from this iPhone. The original, full versions will still be available on other devices using iCloud photos"
Does this mean if I select remove from iphone, rather than download the photos and videos, that my photos that are on my connect mac will get deleted too? Or will they stay on the mac and the photos on my phone will be removed.

The photos will only be deleted on your phone and using the iCloud Photos syncing feature will be disabled. It should not affect any photos already on the Mac or on your Apple ID's iCloud Drive. However, you should always backup your phone before proceeding.

Photos on iCloud with phone and laptop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.