Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac mid 2007- HELP!

Hey guys, I really need help! I'll try to be as detailed as possible so you can understand what's going on; sorry about the lengthy post. The model is iMac 20 Inch widescreen computer, iLife include, with intel core 2 duo.

I recently set up my old iMac from mid 2007 for work purposes. It's 12 years old, and was used as a family computer that had multiple desktops on it, so you can imagine how much stuff was on it. It hasn't been used in about three to four years straight because everyone in the house (including me) got their own MacBook computers for college and what not, and because this family computer has seen its days in the sun. Even though features like flash player and what not were up to date that the iMac model allowed to function, the computer was EXTREMELY laggy. Twitchy screen, rainbow wheel of death for every application that was opened, iMac related popups galore (they weren't virus by the way, they were in relation to mac system or the applications that needed to be updated) that would not seem to click away no matter how much we would click it out. Sometimes the computer would seize for a second or two. The main issue for me with this iMac is that the main computer user would not update it frequently or clean it, so the system seemed to be conking out. I think since we've has this computer, it's been FULLY updated maybe twice, and generally kept up with maybe 4 or 5 times (including said full updates.)

About two months back, I went to the apple store and a technician advised that I should be able to update this mac so long as I had wifi. The first thing I did was do a factory reset on the computer because it was lagging so much that I couldn't do access safari properly. Next, when installing the software, I did try to update the computer via safari as advised, but the browser looked really weird (as in, clearly the flash player was out of date because any recent updates were deleted in the reset), so I manually installed the original OS X that came with the computer. The computer seems to be working fine. It's not slow or anything, applications seem to be working fine, however, the computer is now back to it's 2007-ish model now. It's completely out of date and I can't update it online! I was able to update all applications and the software as much as I could through the 'about this mac' feature. The apple website is incomplete (missing images/no moving images, can't access forums, a lot of links either don't work or lead to dead pages that say 'safari cannot find server/safari is out of date' etc)

I also tried redownloading Flash Player from the archive on the adobe website because the current flash that a adobe offers doesn't support older computers. I believe I downloaded FlashPlayer9, but the download for my computer doesn't seem to be doing what I need. I also tried another one of the downloads that's compatible for a different software model, and the most I can do is access websites like youtube, but I can't view any videos. At this point I think I've installed and reinstalled around 4 different flash models and they don't seems to be working the way I need.

I did speak to someone online but they didn't exactly answer my questions before the chat ended. What I did learn from the chat is that my iMac is running on MacOS X Tiger. The earliest model that the apple website offers for online update is iMac 9,1. However, my model states it's an iMac 7,1. The highest update I should go is El Capitan. What I want to know is: (continued)

Posted on Jul 15, 2019 11:26 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Jul 15, 2019 11:28 PM in response to Frickity Frack I'll fix ur Mac

(continued)

1. Can I buy a different kind of manual software for my computer just like the iMac OS X that originally came with this iMac? Similar to how people purchase apple software for PC computer monitors, I'm assuming that the monitor (the iMac/Hardware) is separate from the actual MacintoshHD that runs on it (does this make sense?) 
  2. If I can buy a different kind of manual software for my computer, what software? I doubt I'll be able to download Mojave because the monitor is way too old, but I do want something that's much more up to date so that I can do online updates that can be supported. Which do you recommend?
  3. Would it make sense to trade this computer in? I have never traded in a computer before. However, I don't really want to trade this in either because a. it's heavy, b. I don't have the money to just buy a new computer, and c. even if I did have the money, I don't like the newer iMac models because you have to purchase all of the accessories with it. My iMac has the disk port and all of the other cable ports built in, which is why trading it in is a last resort for me. The most I want to buy is a new keyboard and mouse. I figured that later on I would save up for a new mac and accessories when my computer can no longer be supported by any downloadable features.

The least I need out of an update for my iMac is for videos and for images to be available to me, and for my computer to be able to read my iPhone 6. I use adobe suite frequently for my work, and I'm frequently emailing people. I don't really care for all of the fancy features such as airdrop, siri, or all of the new apps that work for iMac sierra and what not because I can use my laptop for all of that. I just want a functioning computer that can still be updated as much as possible.

Let me know what you think. Thank you.

(funny enough, when trying to select an option for 'What device is this about?' iMac isn't even available as an option.)

iMac mid 2007- HELP!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.