Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple tv gen 3 frozen on apple icon

Model A1378.

was working then one day just shows the Apple Icon.

tried:

1. unpairing remote and re-pairing - no luck
  2. reset via remote - got the quick flashing after 6 seconds. no change
  3. won't connect via App Remote
  4. power off and on several times - no luck
  5. connect to iTunes (with only micro USB, with and without power and HDMI combination) - no luck
  6. connect to windows iTunes as above step 5. no luck.

Appreciate any clues...

Tx

Posted on Jul 16, 2019 9:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2019 9:41 PM

At step 5 (and 6 as I wasn't sure how this differed from 5) the 3rd gen needs to be attached with power cord too.

i.e. to restore via itunes:

1. Start computer
  2. Start iTunes
  3. Attach ATV to power cord and turn on at wall
  4. Attach micro USB to ATV
  5. Attach other end of micro USB to computer
  6. Wait for ATV to show up in iTunes
  7. Click on it
  8. Follow on screen instructions to restore during which it may need to download the latest update which is about 900MB so you need to be patient and wait.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2019 9:41 PM in response to attidude

At step 5 (and 6 as I wasn't sure how this differed from 5) the 3rd gen needs to be attached with power cord too.

i.e. to restore via itunes:

1. Start computer
  2. Start iTunes
  3. Attach ATV to power cord and turn on at wall
  4. Attach micro USB to ATV
  5. Attach other end of micro USB to computer
  6. Wait for ATV to show up in iTunes
  7. Click on it
  8. Follow on screen instructions to restore during which it may need to download the latest update which is about 900MB so you need to be patient and wait.

Jul 16, 2019 10:07 PM in response to Nniixx

Hi Nniixx and thanks for the reply.

Step 5 and 6 differ as one uses Windows iTunes and the other MacOS iTunes.

So I followed your steps exactly up to step 6.

The ATV is blinking steady since plugging in.

It has not appeared on iTunes at all, and its 15 minutes so far... ( I tried a different working micro USB cable also, just to be sure). If i recall a while ago when i did this same process - it appears quite clearly on iTunes.

Should I keep waiting? (maybe its doing the update) The ATV was working on my TV only a few weeks ago.

Cheers,

A

Jul 17, 2019 11:18 AM in response to attidude

There is only way to connect and the steps need to be followed exactly. Disconnect all cables, connect micro usb, reconnect power. Make sure the micro USB cable is capable of data transfer, and if it was originally bundled with another device it may only be designed to work with that device.

Only once it appears in iTunes would you be able to start the restore process, where it will be go back to it's factory settings and reload the software.

apple tv gen 3 frozen on apple icon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.