Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos library from one external drive to another.

Hi,

I currently have my photos library on an external drive that automatically updates with iCloud when I plug it in.

What would be the simplest way of moving my photos library from that external drive to a larger capacity external drive that will still automatically update with iCloud when I plug it in?

Thank you

MacBook, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 17, 2019 11:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2019 2:30 PM

It would be quicker to create a new, empty library on the larger EHD and designate it as the System Photos Library with the iCloud Photos Library enabled. Then the photos from the iCloud Photos Library wills be downloaded to the new library to make it identical to your current Photos library. Do not delete your current library until the downloading is complete and you can confirm that all your photos are present in the library.

If you copy your current library to the new EHD and set it to be the System Photos Library it will have to upload each photo to the iCloud Library to compare them and make sure all are the same. This will take much longer than just downloading.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 17, 2019 2:30 PM in response to Molten_Galaxy

It would be quicker to create a new, empty library on the larger EHD and designate it as the System Photos Library with the iCloud Photos Library enabled. Then the photos from the iCloud Photos Library wills be downloaded to the new library to make it identical to your current Photos library. Do not delete your current library until the downloading is complete and you can confirm that all your photos are present in the library.

If you copy your current library to the new EHD and set it to be the System Photos Library it will have to upload each photo to the iCloud Library to compare them and make sure all are the same. This will take much longer than just downloading.

Photos library from one external drive to another.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.