Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple watch series 4 gps + cellular

I had purchased online the Apple Watch and had put shipping address to usa but My permanent residence address is in india. when I am back in india I am not able to connect to the cellular option but I had purchased the watch with an idea to connect the cellular and now I have come across it cannot be used can some one help me out how to get the cellular activated in Indian region for airtel network

Apple Watch Series 4, watchOS 5

Posted on Jul 17, 2019 11:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2019 12:19 PM

You cannot activate a cellular watch purchased in the US to a carrier in India. They are two different watch models. You would need to purchase the watch in India. Return the one you have for a refund, if it is within 14 days since purchase. See this for the correct model number. Apple Watch - Carriers - Apple

7 replies

Jul 20, 2019 7:45 AM in response to madhavarao

You are not speaking to Apple here. This is a user to user technical support forum and Apple does not participate here. Your other problem was having a watch shipped to the US, and it sounds like you made the online purchase in the US. In that case, you can only purchase the US version. You should have made your purchase in India to get an Indian version of the watch. The Watch will still work with your phone, but not activated via cellular. The cellular version cannot support roaming, so the scenario you describe of using it everywhere is not possible. The tech is not there for the eSIM and the small size of the watch. It cannot handle all of the radio bands worldwide in the small size. To your statement about small issues, this is not a small issue to be able to support the multiple radio bands around the world. That is why many phones are regional as well. When you travel with the watch, you will still need the phone nearby.

If you wish to convey your disappointment to Apple, you may do so with feedback, Feedback - Apple Watch - Apple It is the customer's responsibility to do due diligence prior to making a purchase. Also, the website has you choose a carrier based on your location. If you purchased in the US, then you could not have chosen an Indian carrier. That should have been the first sign that something was wrong.

Jul 17, 2019 12:46 PM in response to madhavarao

You cannot return it to Apple in India.

You cannot send it back to the US to return to the store.

There is no way to change the watch to have the cellular work in India.

You can use it like a GPS only watch, but the warranty on the device is only valid in the US. You would have to bring it back to the US for any warranty work. You would not be able to mail it to the US for service. At this point, your best alternative is to sell it to someone in the US to try and recover your purchase price. Watches are regional devices, and you need to purchase one in the country you intend to use it in.

Jul 20, 2019 12:58 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Trade in link doesn’t accept the latest series watch

i have my gadgets mostly from Apple

I am completely disappointed on this Apple Watch series 4 gps and cellular after investing in it.

if it is a region specific that should be on the first page of advertisement

Technically when any carrier is not been asked to select while purchasing it should work for any region

or

it should have asked for which region you want it

or

there should be away to get it updated

For me Apple Watch product line in Apple doesn’t make any sense when it is sold region specific as people would be travelling globally and it should be compatible in all regions

I request you to put some mechanism in place so other customers doesn’t loss their valuable money

I think the brand has a value and it should be able to sort out small issues

Thanks for understanding as a customer I am not happy with the Service

Apple watch series 4 gps + cellular

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.