Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VPN router

Howdy and thanks for reading....

2010 timeframe I had a VPN connection that I established at work, with a NETGEAR 318 VPN router and used VPN Tracker at home. That actually worked.

Multiple iterations of computers since then. Back to my mac helped but is gone.

I would like to be at home, on a client computer, and use a database on a machine at work.

The work office is fiber through ATT, that interfaces with the ARRIS NVG595; the ARRIS handles the firewall and routing; apparently it supports IP Passthrough, but not a bridge mode, so it can be seen by service reps for ATT....

I think I need:

That ARRIS in IP Passthrough mode, with a new VPN capable router behind it. I was considering a SONICWALL product. The more you read about the VPN routers, the more people seem frustrated.

OR

Jump ship to a different ISP if I can get a device from them that allows actual bridge mode, then get my VPN router, etc.

NEWBIE question:

Am I correct that I definitely need a VPN router (hardware) in my office space to create this tunnel I would connect to (I.e. no software only solution with my current hardware)?

Also, has the Mac OS VPN (on the home client) morphed enough to be used to connect to a VPN without VPN Tracker?

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 17, 2019 9:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2019 7:36 AM

You need to consult with a network admin person to set up your business network.

You need this consultation because you appear to not understand VPNs, routers, networks, and how they work or should be configured.

Those routers, your network, and VPN servers are not Apple products so it is best to get assistance from those product developers or a third party consultant.

You can use any VPN client that is compatible with your Mac and VPN server to connect to the tunnel.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2019 7:36 AM in response to 2littletime

You need to consult with a network admin person to set up your business network.

You need this consultation because you appear to not understand VPNs, routers, networks, and how they work or should be configured.

Those routers, your network, and VPN servers are not Apple products so it is best to get assistance from those product developers or a third party consultant.

You can use any VPN client that is compatible with your Mac and VPN server to connect to the tunnel.

VPN router

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.