Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring Encrypted Backup

I was very excited to get home and set up my new iPhone XR. However when trying to restore my back up which I made right before I got my new phone (traded in as an upgrade) it asks me for a password to access the encrypted back up which I never set. I have never made an encrypted backup nor have I ever been prompted to create a password for such a thing. I tried my apple ID password, iPhone password, computer password, generic placeholder passwords, and still nothing. I am unbelievably frustrated with this issue and I have seem many others who share the same problem. I have been through 5 iPhones of different generations and I have never once encountered this. I need to get access to the back up someone please help.

iPhone XR

Posted on Jul 17, 2019 9:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2019 3:44 AM

See Disable iOS backup encryption - Apple Community. As already noted there is no workaround, you will either need to work out what password was used or start afresh.

tt2

8 replies

Jul 17, 2019 9:21 PM in response to 23tylerodell

Well, password do not setup itself and you normally you need to verify the password used.

FYI. With encrypted backup, you do not need the password to backup.

You only needs it when you restore from that backup.

Without the password, you cannot use the backup, this is a security feature which you have enabled.

There's no workaround or bypass.

Jul 17, 2019 9:40 PM in response to 23tylerodell

As said, some time earlier the encrypted backup check box is selected.

You might not remember or it's your company policy if your iPhone is connected to your company.

Again you do NOT need the password to backup, you only need password when you want to restore.

Sorry, there's no workaround for that so there's no help except to restore as new without the backup.

Restoring Encrypted Backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.