Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMac Shut Down Random

My IMac 27 late 2012 Shut down random !

iMac 27", macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 18, 2019 9:11 AM

13 replies

Jul 19, 2019 11:45 AM in response to prodreso

That's a sign of a bad power supply. Had the same symptoms on an 2014 27" iMac. It took me 3 visits to the Genius Bar and several phone sessions with Apple engineers before Apple would replace the power supply (it was still under warranty). They wanted to rule out any software so had me finally erase the drive and install a new, clean system without any of my files. That confirmed that it was hardware related.

Since your iMac is a vintage model you'll have to take it to an Apple service provider for service.

Aug 26, 2019 3:14 PM in response to Old Toad

Great. It seems in most cases this is the cause. I’m well out of warranty so I expect I can ask Apple to do anything as I’m paying for it. Mine is a late 2015 model.

im very Mac savvy, ruling out some other things to be sure then I’ll go with the power change.

after 3 days of powering off my Mac each night from 2300 - 0800 I haven’t had any issues. That’s only with minimal use in the evening though.

IMac Shut Down Random

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.