Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail.app doesn't recognize any mail accounts

I have mail accounts set up in Settings > Internet Accounts, but I don't see any windows in Mail.app.

When I open the application, no windows show up, just the menu items. From those items Preferences, Add Account..., etc. is all grayed out (i.e. disabled). Same for mail related stuff (e.g. Compose Message) also.

Posted on Jul 19, 2019 1:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2019 11:50 AM

I've created a new account, it works fine there. I thought about copying mail related files from new account to old one but couldn't manage it. So I've thought of another idea, and now everything is perfect.

Steps of my solution:

1. Uninstall Mail.app. Forklift has an app uninstaller where it also deletes related files and directories. There are similar applications also. The key here is to delete ALL related directories. From Trash, I figured out that Forklift deleted the following for me: Mail.app, com.apple.mail, com.apple.diagnosticextensions.osx.maillogs, com.apple.share.Mail.compose, com.apple.share.Mail.compose-back-to-sender, com.apple.MailServiceAgent, com.apple.MailCacheDelete, com.apple.STMExtension.Mail, com.readdle.smartemail-Mac, com.readdle.smartemail-Mac.plist. I guess the last 2 are Spark related, but Spark is also working fine now.
  2. Recover only Mail.app back. Dragging directly to /Applications may not work, in that case move it to some other place than move it to /Applications with sudo from terminal.
  3. That's it. Now Mail.app works perfectly fine.

Important Note: Do not empty trash without recovering Mail.app back, since it's not available on App Store.

Thanks for all the support, and I hope my solution will be helpful to somebody else in future.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2019 11:50 AM in response to LD150

I've created a new account, it works fine there. I thought about copying mail related files from new account to old one but couldn't manage it. So I've thought of another idea, and now everything is perfect.

Steps of my solution:

1. Uninstall Mail.app. Forklift has an app uninstaller where it also deletes related files and directories. There are similar applications also. The key here is to delete ALL related directories. From Trash, I figured out that Forklift deleted the following for me: Mail.app, com.apple.mail, com.apple.diagnosticextensions.osx.maillogs, com.apple.share.Mail.compose, com.apple.share.Mail.compose-back-to-sender, com.apple.MailServiceAgent, com.apple.MailCacheDelete, com.apple.STMExtension.Mail, com.readdle.smartemail-Mac, com.readdle.smartemail-Mac.plist. I guess the last 2 are Spark related, but Spark is also working fine now.
  2. Recover only Mail.app back. Dragging directly to /Applications may not work, in that case move it to some other place than move it to /Applications with sudo from terminal.
  3. That's it. Now Mail.app works perfectly fine.

Important Note: Do not empty trash without recovering Mail.app back, since it's not available on App Store.

Thanks for all the support, and I hope my solution will be helpful to somebody else in future.

Jul 19, 2019 5:11 PM in response to berkanteber

Hello berkanteber,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities for help with Mail on your computer.

Please try the troubleshooting articles listed in here: Troubleshoot email problems in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

From your description, I recommend starting under the section titled "Problems viewing messages and mailboxes." Thanks and have a wonderful day.

Jul 19, 2019 10:38 PM in response to Teddy_B

Hey,

Thanks for the reply, but it doesn't fit.

Because I can't see any mailboxes. In fact there is not even a window when I open the app, just the menu items. I would attach a screenshot but it doesn't make sense since there is nothing on screen.

I can't access Mail > Preferences, it is disabled.

I can't access Mail > Add Account..., it is disabled too. But through System Preferences > Internet Accounts, I can confirm that there are mail accounts.

I hope it's more clear now.

Jul 20, 2019 11:05 AM in response to berkanteber

That was important missing information! The disable lock could be anywhere in your user library.

Its always worth creating a new User Account with full Admin privilege in System Preferences, Users and groups, and setting up and running Mail under that user.

If it fixes your problems, consider moving your data photos movies and music to the new account permanently. It’s not a minor job though

Mail.app doesn't recognize any mail accounts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.