Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iPhone apps not loading

I have just bought a new iPhone 7 and have restored data from my last iPhone 5 which had drowned in a swimming pool! I restored the data last night but unfortunately many of the apps are saying that they are loading but they are still doing it 15 hours later. Can anyone tell me what I can do to make them finish loading or what is going wrong.

Thank you

iPhone 7, iOS 12

Posted on Jul 19, 2019 5:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2019 5:31 AM

It can take some time for the apps to download depending on the speed of the internet connect and how many apps that you have that are trying to download.

Several things that you can try.....

• Tap on several app icons to pause them and let the others download.
  • Restart the phone. It isn’t going to hurt anything. When I bought my new iPhone in December at an Apple Store, I started restoring the backup there. When we left the store, the app downloads paused until we got home because we were no longer connected to WiFi. That apps didn’t finish downloading until the next morning. Restarting the phone would have the same effect.
  • Power cycle your router. I don’t know that this is really necessary, but sometimes, restarting everything can help.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2019 5:31 AM in response to Not-a-tecky

It can take some time for the apps to download depending on the speed of the internet connect and how many apps that you have that are trying to download.

Several things that you can try.....

• Tap on several app icons to pause them and let the others download.
  • Restart the phone. It isn’t going to hurt anything. When I bought my new iPhone in December at an Apple Store, I started restoring the backup there. When we left the store, the app downloads paused until we got home because we were no longer connected to WiFi. That apps didn’t finish downloading until the next morning. Restarting the phone would have the same effect.
  • Power cycle your router. I don’t know that this is really necessary, but sometimes, restarting everything can help.

Jul 19, 2019 7:57 AM in response to Not-a-tecky

You’re welcome. I’m glad you got it all worked out.

Sometimes when I update apps, if I choose Update All, I can run into the same problem where it takes far longer than it should to simply update a small handful of apps. When that happens, I pause the downloads and do them one a time, like you did.

New iPhone apps not loading

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.