Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch ID doesn’t work

When I set a new fingerprint on my iPhone 5s it works fine. But after few hours it doesn’t work at all. I’ve done this procedure several times and it always worked the same. At first it worked good but few hours later it didn’t recognize my fingerprint. I thought it was wet hands or scanner but I wipped off them and Touch ID is still not working.

iPhone 5s, iOS 12

Posted on Jul 20, 2019 1:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2019 2:25 AM

I think I know this problem, because my fingers can get dirty and abraded with my work. Sometimes a finger will fail then it starts working again later, sometimes it will fail completely because I enrolled it in a damaged state and it has now recovered. You can check which ones work from the passcode/fingerprint setup page, just touch the sensor and the entry for the identified finger will flash. I suggest you clear all which don’t work and enroll several fingerprints (you can set up to 10) at the next attempt. If they all fail at the same time it would tend to point to a scanner problem, if only some fail it would point at a problem with the finger tip.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2019 2:25 AM in response to arseni_fedorovich

I think I know this problem, because my fingers can get dirty and abraded with my work. Sometimes a finger will fail then it starts working again later, sometimes it will fail completely because I enrolled it in a damaged state and it has now recovered. You can check which ones work from the passcode/fingerprint setup page, just touch the sensor and the entry for the identified finger will flash. I suggest you clear all which don’t work and enroll several fingerprints (you can set up to 10) at the next attempt. If they all fail at the same time it would tend to point to a scanner problem, if only some fail it would point at a problem with the finger tip.

Touch ID doesn’t work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.