Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mysterious iphone xs camera lens crack

So guys I’ve been using this iphone xs for a while and two days back noticed there’s a crack in my camera lens which leaves a streak right in the middle of the portrait camera. I’m pretty sure i never dropped my phone as there is no damages or impacts on any other part of the device. I’m sure there is a serious design flaw which leaves the lens prone to shattering. Is there anyone with the same issue and kindly reply if you know the cost of replacement in apple stores. Any ways it doesn’t bother me much as I’m living in china and the cost of replacement is less if i replaced it outside.

iPhone XS, iOS 13

Posted on Jul 20, 2019 10:47 AM

3 replies

Jul 20, 2019 12:18 PM in response to Chengiz

It depends on what it looks like. If it looks like a hairline fracture, they might consider that a point defect that eventually cracked under ordinary use. If it looks it was dropped then they won't. It's hard to describe, but I know it when I see it. Since the camera lens is fused to the case, pretty much the only "repair" is to replace the entire device. Not sure what the prices are in China, and Apple generally only offers replacement service for iPhones that were sold in the same country. Was your iPhone XS purchased in China through Apple or an authorized dealer. I mention that because I understand there's a pretty big grey market in China.

Do you have a photo? You can upload one here with the little symbol in the bar with the mountains.

Mysterious iphone xs camera lens crack

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.