Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installed 2 SSD drives in 2012 MBP, which drive for Applications?

Installed 2 SSD drives into my MBP 2012. Planned on using the 250gb for OS & 500gb for data/photos/videos/docs/downloads, etc. So I was planning on moving the entire Users folder over to the 500gb.

Was as wondering if I should have the Applications folder ( currently located in Users ) stay on OS drive or put it on the 500gb data drive?

I usually have a lot of photos and video in photo library and use Adobe LR, Pr & PS.

Any suggestion appreciated.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 20, 2019 3:16 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Jul 20, 2019 4:27 PM in response to babowa

Yes, I did realize after taking a second look that the “Applications” folder was in fact not in “Users” but stand alone by itself in the C or OS system drive (250gb). So, yes I would assume that is where it should most likely stay.

You do bring up a good point on update possibly being able to locate it.

My main objective is to try and keep all Operating / Systems files be dedicated to the 250gb C drive and all data be dedicated to the 500gb D drive.

Thanks for your reply babowa!

Jul 20, 2019 4:51 PM in response to eyekandiart2

Applications needs to stay on the Boot Drive for proper operation. It also needs to stay on the boot Drive to be properly protected.

You can have your own private applications folder under your User-id:

~/Applications

... but these Applications will only be available to you, not all Users. (If you are the only User, you may not care.)

Your own applications are not as well protected from malware attack as the main shared /Applications folder.

Installed 2 SSD drives in 2012 MBP, which drive for Applications?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.