📢 Newsroom Update

Apple Intelligence comes to iPhone, iPad, and Mac starting next month. Learn more >

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Plus. Learn more >

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple debuts iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro Max. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Find my iPhone green dot and light green circle

Hello,

I have a question about Find my iPhone. I can see sometime the green dot move without the light green circle. Sometime, the green dot standing stable at one area, but the light green circle get bigger cover the whole area. I just want to ask what is different between green dot without light green circle, green dot with medium/ small light green circle and green dot with biggest light green circle.

Thanks.

Posted on Jul 20, 2019 9:16 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2019 1:47 PM

Hello dangt19,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

I understand that you see your location "dot" moving around both within and without a lighter green circle. As well as a varying sized lighter green circle. Depending on your device and available services, Location Services uses a combination of cellular, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and GPS to determine your location. If you're not within a clear line of sight to GPS satellites, your device can determine your location using crowd-sourced Wi-Fi and cell tower locations or other devices. The accuracy can vary and changed based on moment to moment signal strength and signal availability. So, generally speaking, the smaller the larger light green circles will show the best location as the green dot and the area of uncertainty as a lighter green circle. As the accuracy increases with more incoming data and stronger signals, the light green circle will decrease. The following support article will provide more information regarding Location Services.

About privacy and Location Services in iOS 8 and later - Apple Support

Best regards.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 21, 2019 1:47 PM in response to dangt19

Hello dangt19,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

I understand that you see your location "dot" moving around both within and without a lighter green circle. As well as a varying sized lighter green circle. Depending on your device and available services, Location Services uses a combination of cellular, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and GPS to determine your location. If you're not within a clear line of sight to GPS satellites, your device can determine your location using crowd-sourced Wi-Fi and cell tower locations or other devices. The accuracy can vary and changed based on moment to moment signal strength and signal availability. So, generally speaking, the smaller the larger light green circles will show the best location as the green dot and the area of uncertainty as a lighter green circle. As the accuracy increases with more incoming data and stronger signals, the light green circle will decrease. The following support article will provide more information regarding Location Services.

About privacy and Location Services in iOS 8 and later - Apple Support

Best regards.

Find my iPhone green dot and light green circle

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.