Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wifi cutting in and out

On a MacBook Pro (2015), OSX 10.13.6, with upgraded airport 7.9.1. After upgrading the firmware on airport, wifi cuts in and out. Sometimes this is temporarily resolved by Turning WiFi Off then turning it back on. We've tried rebooting to no avail. Wifi will work for a while then not.

The MacBook is in the same place as always, nothing has moved, no deterioration in signal strength (the icon shows all dark).

Our other MacBook (also early 2015) has no problems with wifi, nor does the iMac, nor do either of our phones (wifi strength is fine, signal is consistent). I'm not sure what to explore at this point.

Suggestions, please? Thank you!

MacBook

Posted on Jul 20, 2019 8:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2019 11:09 AM

You can try a Safeboot to clear system caches—easy enough to try.

SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc. once you get to the login screen you can reboot as normal.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2019 11:09 AM in response to CVG

You can try a Safeboot to clear system caches—easy enough to try.

SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc. once you get to the login screen you can reboot as normal.

Jul 21, 2019 11:05 AM in response to CVG

You may be picking up interference from somewhere. and for me, wifi doesn't always get through the walls of my house. So, I bought and connected a 2nd airport to extend the wifi range. It's an older model (not the Airport time capsule-I already have one of those-it's the flatter one. Easy as pie to setup and use. I have an airport app on my iPhone, plus the 2nd base station shows up under the wifi network, and you can configure it from there. I have also found that the 2.4 ghz band is a little spotty, so I have set up a 5ghz band, and picked a channel which I hope is not being used as often. So far it has worked OK. Other than that, all I can suggest you do is to reset the smc/pmu and zap pram on your MacBook Pro 2015, maybe make an appointment at your local Genius Bar for the one that's giving you trouble. not much of a suggestion, I know......

john b

wifi cutting in and out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.