Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

copier for macbook pro

what printer,scanner,copier is most compatible with my Macbook Pro 2017-2018? both wireless & with usb cable? thanks

Posted on Jul 20, 2019 9:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2019 10:20 PM

Pretty much anything should work as long as there are proper drivers. I've got a Canon multifunction center myself and it works quite well with my Mac. I have it set up as a wireless printer through my wireless access point and it connects just as well wirelessly or through a wired (ethernet) connection on that access point. I haven't really tried it with USB though.

Do you want an inkjet, black & white laser, or color laser? I mostly just want black & white and bought one similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-imageCLASS-MF236n-Mobile-Printer/dp/B01K1KUQHK/

I got mine price matched at Office Depot from an Amazon price, although it's a model that seem to have been discontinued. Knocked down the pre-tax price to about $115.

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2019 10:20 PM in response to susan hollywood

Pretty much anything should work as long as there are proper drivers. I've got a Canon multifunction center myself and it works quite well with my Mac. I have it set up as a wireless printer through my wireless access point and it connects just as well wirelessly or through a wired (ethernet) connection on that access point. I haven't really tried it with USB though.

Do you want an inkjet, black & white laser, or color laser? I mostly just want black & white and bought one similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-imageCLASS-MF236n-Mobile-Printer/dp/B01K1KUQHK/

I got mine price matched at Office Depot from an Amazon price, although it's a model that seem to have been discontinued. Knocked down the pre-tax price to about $115.

Jul 20, 2019 11:02 PM in response to y_p_w

THANKS for answering! My problem stems from having a canon ts 6120 model-I tried for over 3 hours, going over & over again thru the directions, online trouble shooting, etc. trying to connect the wireless. The only way I have gotten it to work was with a direct to macbook thru a usb cable, even though I have wi-fi, So far I have only gotten the scan to work, not the print. So frustrated! I just want a copier that will work without "professional installation" that I see offered on Amazon copiers. I have gone to google trying to find the best & easiest copier/scanner-everyone has a different suggestion that I then go to amazon & read user reviews on those recommended. One copier that PC mag recommended as the "best" got a lot of slams & a 3 1/2 stars! That's why I thought I should just go & ask fellow mac owners for advice. I am old & unsophisticated! Just want it to be easy & work!!

Jul 21, 2019 8:38 AM in response to susan hollywood

Wi-Fi can be tedious to program if you’ve got a password. I had to try a few times entering on my little screen doing that funky way to select the alphabet and especially capitalized letters. Once I got it working I’ve never had an issue.

You'll need the right drivers, and Canon recommends manually downloading the driver package rather than automatically searching for the right drivers.

Jul 21, 2019 8:47 AM in response to susan hollywood

If your unit has an Ethernet port, connect that with an ethernet cable to your Router.

If you MUST use Wireless, remember that the signal is coming from your Router, NOT your computer.

There is one gigantic pitfall that manufacturers are setting up for you -- the ability to just print photos direct from your phone (and nothing else). In that mode the Copier becomes its own Router, accepts input directly from your phone, and works not at all with your computer. Be sure to avoid that setting -- it is usually the default!

There are three things your copier must get right to participate on your Home Network using Wi-Fi:

• the network-name

• the password

• the IP address manually, or the method to get one (usually "using DHCP")

All must be supplied to the Printer somehow, as y-p-w alluded, the front panel is a frequent input method. Some printers will allow a temporary USB cable hookup, allow you to enter these items, then switch over to Wi-Fi.

Jul 21, 2019 5:06 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Geez-can't believe the whole world is forcing iphones on us. How can businesses run that way?

Anyhow, thanks for the info-I tried everything you said-cannot get the canon screen to accept anything I touch screen except the same thing over & over. & the response is nill. Still not getting anywhere!! So irritating-can you recommend any-other copier/scanner?

Thanks-susan

Jul 21, 2019 5:33 PM in response to susan hollywood

Honestly, it doesn’t really sound like an Apple-specific issue or where the Apple equipment is where you’re getting stuck.

But yeah it can be frustrating programming these things. Everything needs to be entered through a tiny low res membrane touch screen with multiple presses to get different letters and caps. A web style interface like on routers would make it easier.

Jul 22, 2019 6:43 PM in response to y_p_w

It's the same old box I have had for years from att&t. Like I said, when I first got the box, 2 computers ago, i had to plug the cable into the macbook, then wi-fi became available [I don't remember when} so I clicked on wi-fi in network settings. I tried to enter the passcode [on the box] into the canon TS 6120-no success-the canon screen barely worked & kept coming back to the home screen. So I got an old usb cable & attached it to my mac notebook physically. Sure don't watch to call in a service person cos of $$$ & it's located in the bedroom {I am old & single & wary of strangers-no teenagers in the family or in the area to call on]

Jul 22, 2019 10:05 PM in response to susan hollywood

susan hollywood Said:

“What printer, scanner, copier is most compatible with my Macbook Pro 2017-2018? both wireless & with usb cable? thanks.

Many Multifunction Devices are compatible. But, some just aren’t. So, look up the specs and see if the drivers are downloadable. Nowadays, not all have Wi-Fi, but would, indeed, use a USB cable (A-to-B).

Jul 22, 2019 10:11 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant Bennet-Alder wrote:
Consider connecting it temporarily via USB, getting the Wi-Fi settings entered, then switching to Wi-Fi connection.

I've got a Canon imageCLASS MFC myself, which should have a similar WiFi setup. I'm looking over the owner manual on setting up a connection to WiFi. I see WPS push button setup, which won't apply to the OP since she has a service provider box with a fixed SSID and password. The only way to set up WiFi is with the dinky little touch screen panel with each button representing multiple letters where multiple presses to the same button advances to the next letter. I don't believe there's a way to access the settings by connecting a computer via USB. You're thinking maybe there's some sort of way to get to an HTML-based setup like a router connected to a computer via ethernet or WiFi?

Jul 22, 2019 10:16 PM in response to TheLittles

TheLittles wrote:
susan hollywood Said:
“What printer, scanner, copier is most compatible with my Macbook Pro 2017-2018? both wireless & with usb cable? thanks.

Many Multifunction Devices are compatible. But, some just aren’t. So, look up the specs and see if the drivers are downloadable. Nowadays, not all have Wi-Fi, but would, indeed, use a USB cable (A-to-B).

I don't believe that she has a problem per se with compatibility. She said it works with USB just fine. But for wireless it has to connect to a wireless access point, she's got one that requires a network key, and the only way to input the network key is through a tiny little keypad/display that's prone to errors. I've got a setup like that at work, and I saw it being set up. It took several attempts to get the network key right because the keypad/display is so tiny and difficult to use.

Jul 23, 2019 9:53 AM in response to y_p_w

Yes, very similar to the screens used in Router setup screens.

I have an HP 2550n color Printer, and it sends HTML setup pages to a web browser if you connect it, either via Ethernet (not an option on the Canon) or via USB. When preparing to go wireless, you can enter all the data on those HTML setup screens (over USB connection) then you will be ready to go. Disconnect the USB and you are ready for Wi-Fi.

Jul 23, 2019 11:13 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant Bennet-Alder wrote:
Yes, very similar to the screens used in Router setup screens.

I have an HP 2550n color Printer, and it sends HTML setup pages to a web browser if you connect it, either via Ethernet (not an option on the Canon) or via USB. When preparing to go wireless, you can enter all the data on those HTML setup screens (over USB connection) then you will be ready to go. Disconnect the USB and you are ready for Wi-Fi.

My Canon MFC has an ethernet port, but I don't see anything in the manual detailing a way to set it up via HTML. It's the front panel touch screen only. I suspect the same for the OP.

Jul 23, 2019 11:33 AM in response to TheLittles

TheLittles wrote:
y_p_w Said:
It took several attempts to get the network key right because the keypad/display is so tiny and difficult to use.

So, how’d you succeed? Did you use a stylus?

I wasn't working on it. It was a coworker with smaller fingers. It was just a bunch of tries until the network key was entered correctly and accepted. It took a while because it might take a couple of minutes before there's a response that it succeeded or failed.

copier for macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.