Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can not backup iPhone to my computer using iTunes

I would like to make a full encrypted backup of my iPhone to my MacBook using iTunes:

According to Settings → General → iPhone Storage, I have about 50GB of data on my iPhone:

There is about 130GB of free space on my computer, as read in About This Mac → Storage:

and Disk Utility:

Unfortunately, iTunes tells me there is not enough space on my computer:

This looks like a bug, as backup of 50GB of data on my iPhone should fit in my MacBook's 130GB free space more than twice. Not sure where the problem is. How could I make a full backup (including Health and Activity data) to my computer?

My setup:

• iPhone Xs 256GB with iOS 12.3.1
  • MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016) running macOS Mojave 10.14.5
  • iTunes 12.9.5.5

iPhone XS, iOS 12

Posted on Jul 21, 2019 6:33 AM

6 replies

Jul 21, 2019 12:00 PM in response to Darrarski

Here is a link that may help. Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

essentially I want you to delete any backup from your computer that you think you do not need (you only need one backup) Force reboot the phone [Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Press and hold the Side button until you see the Apple logo.]

Also hold the power button of your MBP until it shuts down and then turn it back on.

Jul 22, 2019 12:05 AM in response to askbarnabas

I did run Disk Aid and got this:

Some issue were detected, but not fixed, so I restarted my Mac into Recovery Mode and run Disk Aid again. I don't have logs from that run, but it was telling me the disk is ok and something about invalid snapshots that will be deleted after restart. I restarted my Mac again into normal mode and run Disk Aid once again. This is the result:

Not sure what that errors means. How can I try to fix those?

Backup still fails with the same error message (not enough space).

Jul 21, 2019 2:22 PM in response to askbarnabas

Thanks for your reply @welafever

I did what you asked:

• Deleted all mobile device backups from my MacBook - actually there where none in iTunes preferences and ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/ was empty
  • Force rebooted my iPhone
  • Force rebooted my MacBook

After doing it, I tried to backup my iPhone again, but got exactly the same error about not enough space on my computer.

I noticed that despite unsuccessful backup operation, a new empty backup directory is created in ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/. I deleted it afterwards as well.

Can not backup iPhone to my computer using iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.