Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Organize photos in a folder by date

Dear all

I would like to organize photos within a folder on my iPhone by date (by chronological order).

Is it possible and if yes how? if not possible on the phone would it be possible after transferring the photos to my iMac? if yes with which software?

Thanks a lot for your help

Sara

Posted on Jul 22, 2019 7:12 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Jul 22, 2019 7:47 AM in response to bsl2bin

What kind of folders are you asking about?

• The folders in the Photos.app on the Mac can only hold albums or other folders, but not photos. Albums can hold photos. On a Mac you can sort the photos in the albums in Photos automatically by the capture date.
  • Folders in the Files.app on your iPhone can hold files, for example image files. Folders in the Finde Ron the Mac can also hold image files, and you can sort them by the file creation date, not necessarily by the capture date

The simplest way to sort your photos by the date would be to sync the Photos Library on your iPhone with iCloud Photos to a Photos Library on your Mac. Then create albums in Photos on the Mac and sort them by the date. These sorted albums will be synced to your iPhone.

You can export the photos with "File > Export" from Photos and use a filename preset with a running number. Then you can sort the exported files in the Finder by the filename with the running number.

Jul 23, 2019 7:13 AM in response to bsl2bin

O.k. I think you created an album in Photos on your iPhone, if there are photos inside. Folders cannot hold photos - folders are used to group albums.

The only way I know to transfer albums to a Mac is iCloud Photos. With iCloud Photos all your albums will sync to Photos to your Mac. Then you can sort them by date in Photos for Mac and the sort order will sync back to the iPhone.

The other ways to transfer photos to your Mac will just transfer photos, not the albums or folders.

Organize photos in a folder by date

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.