Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring files on a MacBook Air that has just been taken back to factory settings

My Mac was taken back to factory settings at the Apple Shop in Stratford. I was confident that I could

restore the files as I had always backed up with a G DRIVE Slim bought from the same shop.

I just tried and nothing was restored, ( I discovered that the wifi wasn't on, could that have effected it?)

A box did appear on the screen and it seemed that something was happening. After about 1 hour it finished but the files were not there.

MacBook Air 11", macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 23, 2019 7:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2019 10:59 AM

I’m going to assume that the G Drive is your TimeMachine drive and you used it to migrate your stuff to the computer after you booted it up. Migration Assistant doesn’t copy things into your account, it creates a whole new account. Open the Users folder on your computer. I’ll bet you see 2 folders, not one. Log out and then log back in to the account you were using before you took the computer to be worked on.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2019 10:59 AM in response to JennieB12

I’m going to assume that the G Drive is your TimeMachine drive and you used it to migrate your stuff to the computer after you booted it up. Migration Assistant doesn’t copy things into your account, it creates a whole new account. Open the Users folder on your computer. I’ll bet you see 2 folders, not one. Log out and then log back in to the account you were using before you took the computer to be worked on.

Restoring files on a MacBook Air that has just been taken back to factory settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.