Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mojave losing SMB connection, won't reconnect without restart

I've got an SMB connection set up to access the file system of my local NAS.  After rebooting my MacBook Air, I'm able to open the SMB connection using smb://<My NAS Name> and it asks me which volume I want to mount.

What I'm experiencing is that after a while, these connections drop (I'm not sure, but I think it might be after my Mac goes to sleep).  If I try to reconnect to the SMB connection, I get the error message.

There was a problem connecting to the server "<My NAS Name>".
The server may not exist or it is unavailable at this time.  Check the server name or IP address, check your network connection and then try again.

The only way I've been able to find that will allow me to reconnect to the SMB is by restarting my Mac.

I don't really want to be restarting my Mac every time I want to connect to the SMB volume.  I've tired it by putting in the IP address of the NAS too, but it returns the same error.  I appear to have a fine network connection to the NAS and in general on my Mac as I'm able to browse it via its online portal.

Is there any way around this?  

Many thanks

MacBook Air

Posted on Jul 25, 2019 9:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2019 11:45 AM

Have the same problem occasionally. Just tried a different method after I noticed that Sharing->File Sharing->Options indicated there was "Number of users connected: 1" even though I could not connect/show files on my headless Mac mini.

Here's what I did:

1. Started Screen Sharing on the mini.
  2. UN-Checked both SMB and AFP checkboxes AND my own name in the "Windows File Sharing" list. This should now automatically UN-check the File Sharing service (unless you have other users in that Windows File Sharing list).
  3. Now RE-check File Sharing.
  4. RE-check "Share files and folders using SMB". Apple has stopped supporting AFP, but you can RE-check that option if you need it.
  5. RE-Check your name in the "Windows File Sharing" list.

You should now be able to connect via SMB through the command-K method of Finder.

This is faster than Shutting down or Restarting, but it may be fixed (again?) in the update to macOS 10.14.6.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2019 11:45 AM in response to Satkin

Have the same problem occasionally. Just tried a different method after I noticed that Sharing->File Sharing->Options indicated there was "Number of users connected: 1" even though I could not connect/show files on my headless Mac mini.

Here's what I did:

1. Started Screen Sharing on the mini.
  2. UN-Checked both SMB and AFP checkboxes AND my own name in the "Windows File Sharing" list. This should now automatically UN-check the File Sharing service (unless you have other users in that Windows File Sharing list).
  3. Now RE-check File Sharing.
  4. RE-check "Share files and folders using SMB". Apple has stopped supporting AFP, but you can RE-check that option if you need it.
  5. RE-Check your name in the "Windows File Sharing" list.

You should now be able to connect via SMB through the command-K method of Finder.

This is faster than Shutting down or Restarting, but it may be fixed (again?) in the update to macOS 10.14.6.

Mojave losing SMB connection, won't reconnect without restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.