Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i know if a warning is legitimate and not another virus in disguise?

MacBook Air

Posted on Jul 27, 2019 9:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2019 10:14 AM

It is a scam.

In the message which claims to have come from Apple they claim they discovered virus on your Mac. For starters neither Apple nor anyone else can tell if there are virus over it over the network. Apple would not offer to scan your Mac for you. They no better than that.

7 replies

Jul 27, 2019 1:09 PM in response to mriganka12

Look closely at that web address. It is not even a valid Apple address that ends in apple.com. They incorporate apple.com in the real domain string that ends in .live, and a lengthy redirect string to their criminal intent server.

Immediate SCAM give-away that this is a very real looking, but entirely deceptive web page. The other comments are valid, about not being Apple, and no filesystem checking over the Internet. Or even any viruses to be found on Macs, for that matter.

Jul 27, 2019 3:46 PM in response to mriganka12

You know it is a scam because it is trying to scare you into reacting.

You know it is a scam because nothing on the internet can even see your Mac, much less scan inside of it over the internet.

You know it is a scam because you thought, "hmm, I wonder if this is a scam."

You know it is a scam because the domain is trying to look like a valid domain, but it isn't. For it to be Apple, it must be apple.com, not apple.com-shield.live--notice the top level domain is .live, not .com.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.