Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

restore iphone 5

I'm trying to factory reset an old iPhone 5 for my son to use. The recovery screen never comes on. On iTunes I get a message to allow the computer to access the phone but then the next prompt is to allow access FROM the phone which is disabled...ugh. Any tips on how to fix this?

Posted on Jul 27, 2019 10:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2019 11:18 AM

You can attempt to restore the iPhone through Recovery Mode following this tutorial: If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If you want to completely wipe the phone, press Restore in iTunes after entering Recovery Mode and then, if it shows, Restore and Update. iTunes will automatically download the latest iOS version and wipe the device and reinstall iOS. If there is an iCloud account linked to the device, be sure to have the iCloud password at the ready to remove the Activation Lock from the device.

Hope this helps!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 27, 2019 11:18 AM in response to akkyle03

You can attempt to restore the iPhone through Recovery Mode following this tutorial: If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If you want to completely wipe the phone, press Restore in iTunes after entering Recovery Mode and then, if it shows, Restore and Update. iTunes will automatically download the latest iOS version and wipe the device and reinstall iOS. If there is an iCloud account linked to the device, be sure to have the iCloud password at the ready to remove the Activation Lock from the device.

Hope this helps!

restore iphone 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.