Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use the Apple Watch Series 4 without cellular?

Hi,

I’m looking at buying the Stainless steel model of the Apple Watch Series 4. But I noticed it’s only available in GPS + Cellular. My current carrier doesn’t support the Apple Watch. Would I be able to buy this model and just use the GPS function or do I need to have a contract in place for the watch to work?

Thanks

Apple Watch

Posted on Jul 28, 2019 4:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2019 4:48 AM

No problem at all, this is exactly how my Apple Watch started until I could switch to a supporting network. The watch will have all functions while paired to your iPhone, the only thing missing will be standalone cellular (and you expected that). In reality most cellular Apple Watches work connected through their iPhone for most of their time, the cellular radio is automatically shut down for better battery life until connection to the iPhone is lost - then it comes to life and the watch connects standalone to the cellular network.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2019 4:48 AM in response to Skyhighdan

No problem at all, this is exactly how my Apple Watch started until I could switch to a supporting network. The watch will have all functions while paired to your iPhone, the only thing missing will be standalone cellular (and you expected that). In reality most cellular Apple Watches work connected through their iPhone for most of their time, the cellular radio is automatically shut down for better battery life until connection to the iPhone is lost - then it comes to life and the watch connects standalone to the cellular network.

Can I use the Apple Watch Series 4 without cellular?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.