Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reminders app either changed or not working

Trying to figure out why the Reminders app has suddenly changed behavior. Ever since it was first introduced if I asked Siri "Remind me at 6pm to take out the trash" that reminder would be saved in the "Reminders" section of the app.

Now, when I say the same Siri command it is saved to my "To Do" section. In fact, EVERYTHING I ask Siri to either do or remind me to do is saved in the "To Do" section.

So why is it now Apple's decision to decide where I want my reminders? If I ask Siri to add something to my "Groceries" List or my "Shopping" List, that's where it goes...no problem. But only the Reminders have changed. I don't want everything in my To Do List. Certain things (to me) are To Do items and others are Reminders.

iPhone XR

Posted on Jul 28, 2019 10:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2019 12:58 PM

I'm not aware of that, but I don't have a To Do list setup. I only made the Mac comment based on your first reply stating about using your Mac. There should be a default list that you use for Reminders in Settings. If you go to Settings>Reminders, what do you see there? Siri should use the Default list.

Similar questions

9 replies

Jul 28, 2019 12:09 PM in response to SravanKrA

Then you must not have a list named "To Do" in your Reminders app. I've been using a Mac for nearly 20 years in a tech career and using the Reminders app ever since Apple introduced it...it's always went to the Reminders list, not my To Do list. The only way this happens correctly for me now is if I completely remove my "To Do" list from the Reminders app...then Siri adds it to the only thing there (other than Groceries and Shopping), which is Reminders. This is definitely a change Apple has recently made. This also just just started happening with my wife's Reminders app.

If it's not too much trouble, please try adding a list named "To Do" and see if Siri adds it to that instead of "Reminders". I also tried renaming the To Do list to "Tasks" and that eliminates the problem. "Only" when there is a To Do list does it appear to happen. Thanks.

Jul 28, 2019 12:51 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Chris...I posted in in "Using your iPhone" intentionally, but I just tried it on my 2018 iPad Pro and also on my new Mac mini...it's the same regardless of device.

The Apple Reminders app comes default with "Reminders" and "Scheduled" as you say...but you can add any number of other lists to it and they function exactly as the Reminders list. I have always had "To Do", "Groceries", and "Shopping" lists in the Reminders app in addition to the actual "Reminders" list. If I add an item to any of the other lists and associate a date & time with it I also see it in "Scheduled" as I should.

But that isn't the problem. As I stated in my original post...previously, and for several years since they added the Reminders app, if I asked Siri "Remind me at 6pm to take out the trash" that reminder would be saved in the "Reminders" list of the app. Now it's not...it's saved to the "To Do" list. This is what has recently changed.

If this is simply something Apple has changed, I get it. I've been an Apple fanboy long enough to know they often change things to suit them...and I'm fine with that. I just wondered if anyone else noticed the change.

Jul 28, 2019 1:11 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Chris, I just now noticed the "Mac" tag displayed to the right of my level, but I didn't add it there, it's on all my posts in the discussion groups, regardless of where I post. It must be the forum software adding it. Regardless, I intended to post here in the "Using iPhone" section.

All this said, you resolved the problem! Thanks! I have always had the Reminders default list set to "Reminders" on all my iOS devices and my Mac. But somehow, on my iPhone and also my wife's iPhone the default was set to "To Do", thus causing the problem. I certainly didn't change that intentionally after all these years of it being set to "Reminders".

So...thanks for mentioning that which prompted me to check the default list on my iPhone!

Jul 28, 2019 1:18 PM in response to Larry McJunkin

You're welcome. I wasn't speaking about next to your name. In your response to SravanKrA you made the statement, "I've been using a Mac for 20 years in a tech career..." which is the only reason that I wanted to make sure you were referring to an iPhone and not Reminders on the Mac. Nothing to worry about. I'm guessing that your first question on the forum was in one of the Mac forums, which is why that appeared. If you spend time in a forum, then one of those Specialty badges appears like mine, for Apple Watch.

Either way, glad you got it sorted out and everything is working for you. Take care.

Reminders app either changed or not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.