Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why is applemail shrinking my images

I'm sending images at 'actual' size in applemail but when they arrive they are half the size - is there a way to make sure actual size sent, is actual size received?

Thanks

Posted on Jul 28, 2019 10:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2019 11:14 AM

At the risk of recommending a test that’s already been tried here, send the attached image to another of your email accounts or to another local recipient, and then go look at what image was received?

What gets shown in the mail message compose window doesn’t necessarily match exactly what gets sent, and definitely doesn’t match what every user will display for received messages. That’s just how mail and HTML mail and attachments work, across different systems and different settings.

There are some alternatives to attaching photos to mail messages, too.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2019 11:14 AM in response to davey17x

At the risk of recommending a test that’s already been tried here, send the attached image to another of your email accounts or to another local recipient, and then go look at what image was received?

What gets shown in the mail message compose window doesn’t necessarily match exactly what gets sent, and definitely doesn’t match what every user will display for received messages. That’s just how mail and HTML mail and attachments work, across different systems and different settings.

There are some alternatives to attaching photos to mail messages, too.

Jul 28, 2019 3:24 PM in response to MrHoffman

Thanks - but I did the test before my posting - different email, different company, different recipient - same reduced image.

The suggestion of sending my client on a redirect into my cloud account, simply because my mail provider can't attach a simple jpeg, isn't going to look too professional, so the cloud option is not viable, but cheers for the heads up.

Jul 28, 2019 3:29 PM in response to BDAqua

Hi - not sure I understand relevance of your question? The image is the image, no matter how its measured. An actual size image should arrive at the destination at 100% same size, not reduced by 30-40%.

BTW, we're not talking a large image or overload - its only 500kb and at that file size, it doesn't need resizing or compression - but that IS what is happening to it. Thanks

Jul 29, 2019 5:46 AM in response to Yer_Man

thanks for your help - but still not getting your question of size

As I explained 'actual size refers to Applemail's specifications on the drop down menu - (whatever they are) They don't tell me and I can't find them, but we're getting into semantics - The images in the email aren't usually reduced in size - now they are. It's a straightforward problem (or so I thought)..

To clarify - the file size is the same. In the email its embedded and shows at 40% reduction, and although sent as 'windows friendly' CANNOT be downloaded off the email, so is in effect reduced in size.

Prior to this, I sized and attached to read at full screen size and they arrived the same - now they don't.

why is applemail shrinking my images

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.