Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wrapping numbers and dates in columns

Is there a way to have formatted numbers and dates wrap in cells when the columns are too small to display all the data?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM

Posted on Jul 14, 2010 2:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2010 4:55 AM

runswithtwohorses wrote:
Is there a way to have formatted numbers and dates wrap in cells when the columns are too small to display all the data?

r,

Yes, but I have only had success if I add an auxiliary cell/column for the transition to text.

For instance if I have the Date/Time January 1, 2010 10:10 AM in Cell A1 and format it as Friday, January 1, 2010 10:10 AM it doesn't wrap, but, let's say, it has the proper format. If in Cell B1 I write: =A1 & "" , and I set the wrap property in the Format Inspector for that cell, I will get the proper format and the wrap in B1.

So, the concatenation operator and the null string convert the date object to text. I have found no way to do this in a single cell, even with a more complex formula.

Jerry
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2010 4:55 AM in response to runswithtwohorses

runswithtwohorses wrote:

r,

Yes, but I have only had success if I add an auxiliary cell/column for the transition to text.

For instance if I have the Date/Time January 1, 2010 10:10 AM in Cell A1 and format it as Friday, January 1, 2010 10:10 AM it doesn't wrap, but, let's say, it has the proper format. If in Cell B1 I write: =A1 & "" , and I set the wrap property in the Format Inspector for that cell, I will get the proper format and the wrap in B1.

So, the concatenation operator and the null string convert the date object to text. I have found no way to do this in a single cell, even with a more complex formula.

Jerry

Jul 14, 2010 5:10 AM in response to runswithtwohorses

runswithtwohorses wrote:

NO
but there is a workaround.
Assuming that dates are in column C
add a column wich would be D).
In this one insert the formula =""&C
Then,

(a) you will be able to hide column C
(b) as column D will contain text values, the wrap feature will apply.

Of course, calculations requiring dates would refer to column C.

Oops, as I left the machine for lunch, I finished the message and posted it before seing Luther's one.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) mercredi 14 juillet 2010 14:07:52

Jul 14, 2010 6:42 AM in response to runswithtwohorses

runswithtwohorses wrote:
Seems silly that it's so complex.

There is an easy way: make the cell wider. The solution of adding a column to convert the expression result to text is hardly what most users would call "complex", but I agree that it would be nice not to have to do that.

Feel free to submit feedback to Apple via the Numbers menu.

Jerry

Wrapping numbers and dates in columns

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.