Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 12.4 alarm glitch

Hi guys, today I missed my international train due to a strange glitch that I did not expected: My alarm did not ring, neither vibrated at five set times. Only notifications of snoozing were displayed, however also very strange, five in just two seconds. When I tried to set another alarm, it also did not ring (even with iPhone unlocked) and was only "ringing" on the display. After I restarted the device, everything worked well, even in the Do Not Disturb mode as usual, just the train was way ahead... :(

"Thanks" Apple! And we others - be careful!

This was on the display when I woke up and realized - hey, I should have been woken up at 4:20, 4:21, 4:22, 4:24 and 4:25!

And this is the alarm that want off just on the screen - no sound, nothing. Even when I tried to change the sound in the selected Alarm's settings, no sounds played!

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Jul 29, 2019 8:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2019 6:23 AM

That sounds like an Attention Aware issue:

1. Open the “Settings” app on the iPhone
  2. Go to the “Face ID & Passcode” section
  3. Locate the “Attention Aware Features” option and turn the switch to the OFF position
  4. Exit out of Settings

About Attention Aware features on your iPhone X or iPad Pro - Apple Support

Similar questions

8 replies

Jul 29, 2019 9:07 AM in response to matt_gs777

With the limited information provided I had carried out following experiments to simulate a scenario similar to what you have described. My findings are as follows

I have iPhone 6 iOS 12.4

Ringer Physical Switch - Off Position during the entire experiment.

Alarm went off with Vibration, No Sound

• Alarm Sound set to None
  • Settings > Sound > Ringer & Alert Slider set to Minimum

Alarm went off with Sound & Vibration (On all these limiting factors)

• Bed Time Set and Alarm was set during Bed Time
  • Settings > DND > Silence [Always / While iPhone is Locked],
    • While iPhone is locked was ticked
    • iPhone was kept locked
  • Connected to Bluetooth Speaker
  • Streaming video on YouTube
  • Alarm Sound Set to Apple Music
  • Alarm Sound Sound set to Default

Alarm Snoozed: When I pressed Snooze / Volume Switch Up / Volume Switch Down

Alarm Stopped: When Side Button Pressed

Alarm Stopped: When the alarm was ignored. After 15 mins with no snooze.

More information needed

1. Do you have any third party Alarm App installed which is interfering with the default app?
  2. Alarm snoozes for 9 minutes, Your 1st Screen shot shows 8:34 to 8:35 mins remaining, indicating screenshot was taken after 30 secs of snoozing
  3. Why there is no Alarm symbol on the second screenshot similar to the first screenshot
  4. Settings > General > Accessibility > Vibration > Vibration [Enabled] or [Disabled]
  5. Settings > Sound > Vibration [Enabled] or [Disabled]

Aug 12, 2019 5:46 AM in response to matt_gs777

Same issue. After few situational tests, the alarm triggers as expected until the it (iPhone X) thinks there may be something looking at it, then the "swipe up to open" appears, and the alarm audio then reduces to a barely audible level.

My test was as follows:

1. Set alarm
  2. Put phone in my pocket
  3. Alarm triggers and plays at full volume while in my pocket
  4. Once removed from my pocket, alarm audio reduces to almost zero, but is still playing and vibrating

Jul 29, 2019 3:11 PM in response to matt_gs777

Exactly the same for me today. I have a repeat alarm that’s been running for months (it uses bell tower). Today on 12.4 the alarm didn’t sound. I woke up 2 hours late to see the snooze function.

Tonight I reset the phone and changed the time and the same thing happened. The only fix has been to delete the alarm and create a new one. This is the second alarm problem over the years with the summertime bug a few years back. Starting to think I can’t rely on my phone which is a shame at the cost :(

Aug 6, 2019 6:25 AM in response to matt_gs777

I have the same issue. It has happened multiple times already.

I have many alarms that I set every night. Several days now (since 12.4) my alarms don’t ring and directly go to snooze. I have even deactivated snooze but yet, they don’t ring and go on snooze.

Restarting phone helps. But even if you restart at night, there is no guarantee that it works in the morning.

Apple used to be more careful with their software. Now it’s pretty much as bad as android.

Aug 19, 2019 11:18 AM in response to matt_gs777

Are you sure it is only your alarm clock that is not working properly? With me on iphone XR if somebody is calling me it doesn’t ring and no vibrations. All sounds seem to disappear (not on mute). After restarting everything works fine again including vibrations. I am not sure yet what it is triggered by but i think it has to do with music (apple music and/or spotify).

iOS 12.4 alarm glitch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.