Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos - repairing the library

After starting Photos in repair mode, is it normal to be repeatedly told that the photos library has inconsistencies that must be repaired and prompted to click on Repair?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jul 30, 2019 12:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2019 3:42 AM

I take it, you already tried to restart your Mac?

If the library is on your internal drive, in your Pictures folder, try if repairing your user Home folder will allow the Library Repair to succeed. For some users running Mojave this helped, because Mojave is more restrictive with respect to user permissions and file ownership than the previous systems.

See: Resolve issues caused by changing the permissions of items in your home folder - Apple Support

You may also check the System Preferences > Security & Privacy and enable "Full Disk Access" for Photos.

Also, make sure that you are repairing the correct library. Sometimes Photos will switch between libraries, if it cannot access the correct library. After repairing the permissions try the Library Repair like this:

• Select your main Photos Library in the Finder.
  • Hold down the key combination ⌥⌘ while double clicking the Library. Keep holding down the two keys firmly, until the library chooser dialog appears. This will ensure, that Photos will repair the selected library and not the last opened library.

Photos needs plenty of free storage for the repair. make sure, your Mac is not low on storage, when you repair the library.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2019 3:42 AM in response to _charliec

I take it, you already tried to restart your Mac?

If the library is on your internal drive, in your Pictures folder, try if repairing your user Home folder will allow the Library Repair to succeed. For some users running Mojave this helped, because Mojave is more restrictive with respect to user permissions and file ownership than the previous systems.

See: Resolve issues caused by changing the permissions of items in your home folder - Apple Support

You may also check the System Preferences > Security & Privacy and enable "Full Disk Access" for Photos.

Also, make sure that you are repairing the correct library. Sometimes Photos will switch between libraries, if it cannot access the correct library. After repairing the permissions try the Library Repair like this:

• Select your main Photos Library in the Finder.
  • Hold down the key combination ⌥⌘ while double clicking the Library. Keep holding down the two keys firmly, until the library chooser dialog appears. This will ensure, that Photos will repair the selected library and not the last opened library.

Photos needs plenty of free storage for the repair. make sure, your Mac is not low on storage, when you repair the library.

Jul 30, 2019 1:46 AM in response to _charliec

This can happen, if the library is damaged beyond repair, or if the library is on an external drive, that is not compatible with Photos or is failing. Or if you imported media files that are incompatible with Photos and cannot be processed. or if there is not enough free storage on the drive with the library to complete the repair.

Can you tell us more about your Mac and your Photos Library?

• Why has the repair become necessary? Did Photos crash or did you restore a library from backup? Did you run any cleaning applications?
  • Which system is installed on your Mac? Where is your Photos Library stored?
  • If your library is on an external drive, what is the file system format? Are any backups on the same drive as your library?

Jul 30, 2019 1:55 AM in response to léonie

Not sure why the repair was needed. I opened Photo's and was presented with a message that a repair was needed. When I last used Photo's, I exported a few images and closed it normally. I didn't run any cleaning applications and I haven't restored a backup (which I could do as I have not recently added any photo's to the library).

My iMac (late 2015) is running macOS Mojave. The Photo's library is on the internal disk, which has 584 GB free.

Backups are on an external drive.

Photos - repairing the library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.