Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad battery replacement

Will Apple replace my iPad battery for $99 if the screen has hairline cracks which don’t go through the screen and have caused no internal damage?

I thought I read that as long as no third party tampered with the iPad, Apple would swap it out for the $99 battery fee.

But someone at Apple support chat said that Apple will not do this for $99 if there is any type of damage to the iPad. You have to pay the full replacement fee.

I can go through Verizon insurance, which I have, for $200 and get a replacement. But I’d rather deal directly with Apple and do it for $99 if possible. Actually my iPad isn’t yet due for a new battery, but I can trying to decide which route to go. No pointing in waiting if I use Verizon. I will wait if I can go through Apple for $99.

iPad Pro 9.7-inch WiFi, Cellular

Posted on Jul 30, 2019 12:01 PM

4 replies

Jul 30, 2019 12:16 PM in response to slainson

No, if there is visible damage to your iPad (which cracks in the screen certainly are), they will not just give a battery replacement for $99. Which, btw., they don't actually replace iPad batteries to begin with. If an iPad is in perfect shape and just needs a new battery, they will replace the iPad with a refurbished device containing a new battery for $99. If the iPad is damaged, as yours is, they will offer an out of warranty replacement for about 60% of the purchase price when new.

Jul 30, 2019 12:32 PM in response to slainson

slainson wrote:
I knew that they gave you a replacement iPad as the battery repair. I just wondered if you got it for $99 if there is superficial screen damage.

No. Superficial damage or not, screen damage of any kind puts it in the category where it's not eligible for the battery service price. That's just the way it is.

I don't believe it has to be in perfect condition though, and for all we know they might use a new screen assembly anyways for the refurbishing process. But it pretty much has to be in "trade-in" condition for the battery service.

ipad battery replacement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.