Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen Sharing on Snow Leopard: What Still Works?

I’m doing tech support for some folks on the other side of the continent who are still on 10.6.8. What protocols still work for screen sharing as of July 2019? Google/jabber on iChat? Will it work if I’m running a later version of MacOS on my end? (I have access to an ancient MBP with several boot partitions, one of which is Snow Leopard, which I can resort to if necessary.)

Failing true Mac screen sharing (e.g., with iChat), are there any alternatives? E.g., tracking down an old version of Skype that will work with Snow Leopard?

Posted on Jul 30, 2019 1:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2019 5:47 PM

Truthfully, you would be better using http://TeamViewer.com

It will deal with getting through the home router.

If you want to roll your own, then this is what I had to do at my Mom's house (I did it at mine, but at my Mom's will simulate what you have to do).

First, I was able to go to Mom's to do the setup, If you are going to be doing this from across the country, it could be more difficult, but then again, maybe you could use TeamViewer.com to do the initial setup.

On Mom's home router, I had to tell the router to port forward a high numbered internet facing port to my Mom's iMac port 22. Port 22 is the ssh (Secure Shell) port. I could have opened a port to port 5900, but that is not as secure as ssh, which is why I did not do that.

If you do not know how to tell your family's home router to forward a high numbered port, then look at https://portforward.com for instructions on the specific router at the family member's home.

You will be telling the router to open a port on the internet side and connect that port to the family member's Mac port 22. The internet side port should be a high numbered port, something between10,000 and 65,000. You will be addressing that port. For the purposes of this example, I'll use port 54321

Once the family member's router is properly configured, you have the family member ask Google for the internet visible IP address. Just have the family member Google "what is my ip", and then give you the nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn number. Most ISPs keep the same number associated with a home, unless they loose power, or power cycle their cable modem.

Have the Family member enable System Preferences -> Sharing -> Screen Sharing

Have the Family member give you their short Unix username, and password. They can find the short name by starting up

Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal, then enter the command

echo $USER

This should be the Admin Account if you are going to be doing admin things on their system.

Once the family member's router is configured to port forward, and you have the IP address for their router from their Google query, you do the following

From an Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal session

ssh -L 25900:localhost:5900 -p 54321 nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn

Username: their_short_unix_name

Password: their_password

where nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn is the IP address they gave you. 54321 is the high numbered port forwarding number used when setting up their router. And 25900 is just a local port number on your system that you will be using shortly

At this point you are logged into their system at a Unix command line. There are lots of things you can do from here, but it you are not a Unix'y kind of person, best be careful, because there are very few "Safeties" to protect you from breaking things at the command line.

Now to start a Screen Sharing session. From your Mac

Finder -> Go -> Connect to server -> vnc://localhost:25900

The vnc:// tells the Finder to start a Virtual Network Connection, which in Unix terms is a way to control a remote system's screen. On the Mac this causes Screen Sharing to startup. The localhost:25900 it should connect to port 25900 on your Mac, which above you established as the local side of the tunnel going to your family member's port 5900 (the standard VNC port)

At this point if all went well, you should be seeing your family member's screen, and your mouse and keyboard will control their Mac. If they are not logged in, you will be able to login. If they are logged in, you will see what they are seeing, and you can both fight for where the cursor is positioned, and what you type, etc....

It would actually be best to experiment on your own system, ASSUMING you have more than 1 Mac at home. You can configure your own home router, to port forward to another Mac in your home, then go through all the steps to prove yourself you can make a connection.

Going out and back into your router or going from a local coffee shop back home will not matter with respect to distance, as going to your family member is just the internet and that all just works.

My Mom is 300 miles away. I've connected to my own home from work, from local coffee shops, from Florida (maybe 1,000 miles away). Once it works, distance does not matter.

But getting it to work is the fun part.

If you want a dynamic DNS name, you can get one of those from No-IP.com for free, but every month you have to tell them you still want to use your free dynamic DNS name. Or if this proves very valuable, you can by a dynamic DNS name. Using dynamic DNS name requires you either have dynamic DNS support in the remote router, or that a Mac in the home runs a program from No-IP.com in the background to keep No-IP.com up-to-date on what the homes IP address is, just in case it changes.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2019 5:47 PM in response to CTEPE0

Truthfully, you would be better using http://TeamViewer.com

It will deal with getting through the home router.

If you want to roll your own, then this is what I had to do at my Mom's house (I did it at mine, but at my Mom's will simulate what you have to do).

First, I was able to go to Mom's to do the setup, If you are going to be doing this from across the country, it could be more difficult, but then again, maybe you could use TeamViewer.com to do the initial setup.

On Mom's home router, I had to tell the router to port forward a high numbered internet facing port to my Mom's iMac port 22. Port 22 is the ssh (Secure Shell) port. I could have opened a port to port 5900, but that is not as secure as ssh, which is why I did not do that.

If you do not know how to tell your family's home router to forward a high numbered port, then look at https://portforward.com for instructions on the specific router at the family member's home.

You will be telling the router to open a port on the internet side and connect that port to the family member's Mac port 22. The internet side port should be a high numbered port, something between10,000 and 65,000. You will be addressing that port. For the purposes of this example, I'll use port 54321

Once the family member's router is properly configured, you have the family member ask Google for the internet visible IP address. Just have the family member Google "what is my ip", and then give you the nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn number. Most ISPs keep the same number associated with a home, unless they loose power, or power cycle their cable modem.

Have the Family member enable System Preferences -> Sharing -> Screen Sharing

Have the Family member give you their short Unix username, and password. They can find the short name by starting up

Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal, then enter the command

echo $USER

This should be the Admin Account if you are going to be doing admin things on their system.

Once the family member's router is configured to port forward, and you have the IP address for their router from their Google query, you do the following

From an Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal session

ssh -L 25900:localhost:5900 -p 54321 nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn

Username: their_short_unix_name

Password: their_password

where nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn is the IP address they gave you. 54321 is the high numbered port forwarding number used when setting up their router. And 25900 is just a local port number on your system that you will be using shortly

At this point you are logged into their system at a Unix command line. There are lots of things you can do from here, but it you are not a Unix'y kind of person, best be careful, because there are very few "Safeties" to protect you from breaking things at the command line.

Now to start a Screen Sharing session. From your Mac

Finder -> Go -> Connect to server -> vnc://localhost:25900

The vnc:// tells the Finder to start a Virtual Network Connection, which in Unix terms is a way to control a remote system's screen. On the Mac this causes Screen Sharing to startup. The localhost:25900 it should connect to port 25900 on your Mac, which above you established as the local side of the tunnel going to your family member's port 5900 (the standard VNC port)

At this point if all went well, you should be seeing your family member's screen, and your mouse and keyboard will control their Mac. If they are not logged in, you will be able to login. If they are logged in, you will see what they are seeing, and you can both fight for where the cursor is positioned, and what you type, etc....

It would actually be best to experiment on your own system, ASSUMING you have more than 1 Mac at home. You can configure your own home router, to port forward to another Mac in your home, then go through all the steps to prove yourself you can make a connection.

Going out and back into your router or going from a local coffee shop back home will not matter with respect to distance, as going to your family member is just the internet and that all just works.

My Mom is 300 miles away. I've connected to my own home from work, from local coffee shops, from Florida (maybe 1,000 miles away). Once it works, distance does not matter.

But getting it to work is the fun part.

If you want a dynamic DNS name, you can get one of those from No-IP.com for free, but every month you have to tell them you still want to use your free dynamic DNS name. Or if this proves very valuable, you can by a dynamic DNS name. Using dynamic DNS name requires you either have dynamic DNS support in the remote router, or that a Mac in the home runs a program from No-IP.com in the background to keep No-IP.com up-to-date on what the homes IP address is, just in case it changes.

Jul 30, 2019 2:18 PM in response to CTEPE0

I can screen share from Mojave to Snow Leopard.

I am either on a local LAN (so I'm just using

Finder -> Go -> Connect to server -> vnc://snow_leopard.local

When I'm crossing the internet (to my own systems or my Mom's), I have been using an ssh tunneling port 5900 to the remote system. In this case, I've had my router port forward an high numbered port on the internet side to port 22 on the destination Mac. The remote Mac is often using a Dynamic DNS name so I can find the system when the ISP changes the IP address.

ssh -L 12345:localhost:5900 -p high_numbered_port dynamic.dns.name

Finder -> Go -> Connect to server -> vnc://localhost:12345

The ssh connect has associated local port 12345 with the ssh tunnel to the remote system. The Connect to server URL directs Screen Sharing to local port 12345 which magically appears at the remote system's port 5900 (the VNC port).

The -p high_numbered_port option tells ssh to connect to the remote system (the router really) using the high numbered port I configured the remote router to port forward to port 22 (the ssh port).

anyway, ssh connects to the remote system, establishes a tunnel to the VNC port 5900 on the remote system, and allows me to establish a screen sharing session.

SInce I'm just supporting me and my Mom, I can do all this ssh setup.

If you have to do this for a living, and cannot make these kinds of changes to their systems, you might want to look at use TeamViewer.com Then again, if you are using TeamViewer for commercial purposes, you are suppose to pay for it. Personal, not too frequent, use is free.

Jul 30, 2019 3:55 PM in response to BobHarris

I love this answer! I’m going to need a little extra handholding, though:

On the remote end (yep, it’s family), they just need to enable Screen Sharing in their System Prefs and look up their IP numbers at the moment (assuming that their ISP is not giving them a dynamic DNS name)?

The ssh stuff happens strictly in Terminal on my end? Do I replace “high_numbered_port” with a randomly chosen 5-digit number? As to port 12345, that’s just an arbitrarily chosen port, but it should not be the same port as the aforementioned high numbered port?

Thank you!

Screen Sharing on Snow Leopard: What Still Works?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.