Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading from El Capitan to Mojave

Hi, I am currently running El Capitan on my MacBook Pro, it is the Mid 2015 model. I have been thinking about upgrading to Mojave for some time but I have been putting it off as I am worried it will affect the performance of my Mac and start up time. Would you guys recommend upgrading? Also, has anyone else upgraded a 2015 MacBook Pro and how was the performance after?

Thanks in advance :)

Posted on Jul 31, 2019 6:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2019 6:51 AM

How to upgrade to macOS Mojave

1. Perform a Time Machine backup on your El Capitan system to a physically attached drive. Set that drive aside, and do not reuse it for Mojave. This will be your failsafe restore drive. Put a label on it as El Capitan final backup.
  2. Boot into Recovery mode and run Disk Utility First Aid on your El Capitan boot drive. Reboot normally.
  3. For your printer/scanner models, visit the respective vendor sites and check for macOS 10.14 (Mojave) driver compatibility. Once Mojave is installed, you will need to download and install these drivers, then reset the Print System.
  4. For any third-party software products, verify that current versions are compatible with macOS Mojave from the respective vendor sites. You can also check on RoaringApps.
    1. Retired applications (e.g. Adobe CS6 and older, Office 2008/2011 for Mac, etc.) will either not work properly or not at all.
  5. Now, download Mojave 10.14.6 from the Mac App Store (it will reside in your /Applications folder).
    1. It will offer to continue the upgrade.
      1. If you do not want to build a bootable USB stick (16 GB), then just continue the upgrade. The installer will be automatically removed after the upgrade.
      2. If you do want to build a bootable USB stick, then cancel the upgrade.
      3. Follow the steps for Mojave in Apple's How to create a bootable installer for macOS
      4. Now, you can double-click on the Mojave installer to do the upgrade, and keep the bootable USB stick in reserve, or you can reboot the Mac with the option key, and choose the bootable USB installer to perform a clean install.
    2. Connect an unused external Time Machine drive (HFS+ journal) to perform a full backup of the Mojave installation.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2019 6:51 AM in response to dancliffordctfc

How to upgrade to macOS Mojave

1. Perform a Time Machine backup on your El Capitan system to a physically attached drive. Set that drive aside, and do not reuse it for Mojave. This will be your failsafe restore drive. Put a label on it as El Capitan final backup.
  2. Boot into Recovery mode and run Disk Utility First Aid on your El Capitan boot drive. Reboot normally.
  3. For your printer/scanner models, visit the respective vendor sites and check for macOS 10.14 (Mojave) driver compatibility. Once Mojave is installed, you will need to download and install these drivers, then reset the Print System.
  4. For any third-party software products, verify that current versions are compatible with macOS Mojave from the respective vendor sites. You can also check on RoaringApps.
    1. Retired applications (e.g. Adobe CS6 and older, Office 2008/2011 for Mac, etc.) will either not work properly or not at all.
  5. Now, download Mojave 10.14.6 from the Mac App Store (it will reside in your /Applications folder).
    1. It will offer to continue the upgrade.
      1. If you do not want to build a bootable USB stick (16 GB), then just continue the upgrade. The installer will be automatically removed after the upgrade.
      2. If you do want to build a bootable USB stick, then cancel the upgrade.
      3. Follow the steps for Mojave in Apple's How to create a bootable installer for macOS
      4. Now, you can double-click on the Mojave installer to do the upgrade, and keep the bootable USB stick in reserve, or you can reboot the Mac with the option key, and choose the bootable USB installer to perform a clean install.
    2. Connect an unused external Time Machine drive (HFS+ journal) to perform a full backup of the Mojave installation.

Jul 31, 2019 9:55 AM in response to dancliffordctfc

dancliffordctfc wrote:

....I have been thinking about upgrading to Mojave for some time but I have been putting it off as I am worried it will affect the performance of my Mac and start up time. .....

I think the bigger concern would be if any of your third party apps

are compatible, and if not, do they have updates for compatibility

or would they require paid upgrades to be compatible and your

willingness to pay for them if needed.

Jul 31, 2019 12:15 PM in response to woodmeister50

To be honest I only use my MacBook for browsing the Internet, I don't use a lot of software. Mixed reviews from people have put me off upgrading, I just don't want performance to be worse or slow things down. I do like the features Mojave has and I was thinking it might be a good time to upgrade with Catalina due out in September.

Upgrading from El Capitan to Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.