Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Activation Lock

My IPad got locked. It says to use the password that I originally set it up with. I have had it so long, I don't remember what that was. How do I get past that problem?

Posted on Jul 31, 2019 8:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2019 8:36 AM

Usually there is nothing you can do, you can't go past the Activation Lock without knowing the Apple ID and password. But since the iPad was previously linked to your Apple ID, you may be able to reset your Apple ID's password using:

http://iforgot.apple.com

2 replies

Jul 31, 2019 8:37 AM in response to Ninisipad2

On the activation lock page is a major hint as to what you used. It should look something like: o*****@hotmail.com (or some variation of that). That is the email address you used to set up the iPad.

Use this link to help you find it: If you forgot your Apple ID - Apple Support

If you are unable to recover the ID, the only other option available to you would be to find the original purchase receipt, the one with the iPad serial number on it and take that with you to the Apple Store Genius Bar for assistance. Apple won't help you without valid proof of original ownership.

Activation Lock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.