Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I put a rented iTunes movie onto a flash drive?

So my iPad doesn't have enough memory to store any more than one HD movie. It looks like a flash drive is the answer, but I'm not sure if I can transfer rented iTune movies to an external flash drive. I will be playing the stored movies on my iPad by the way.

Posted on Jul 31, 2019 10:19 AM

2 replies

Jul 31, 2019 11:35 AM in response to Alanyams

This is not possible to do.

If you need to free up free data storage space on an iPad/iDevice, you need to start by backing up your iPad to either Apple's iCloud or by connecting your iDevice to a computer running the latest iTunes or some other offsite, “cloud” data storage service, like Google Drive/Photos, DropBox, BOX or similar offsite, online data storage/backup services.

Then, delete any installed apps that you no longer use or use infrequently enough that they aren't missed ( you can always reinstalled any purchased or free apps at some time later, as you need them ).

Thin out/delete any music/videos/movies/TV shows/images/eBooks/eMagazine/iBooks/audiobooks/Documents/PDFs, etc.

If you use a POP email account on your iPad, delete/thin out any old saved emails that maybe saved to your iPad.

To permanently delete photos/images off of your iDevice go into the Photos app and find the Recently Deleted folder/album and permanently delete any photos/images stored in that folder/album.

Also, you can check to see what stuff is eating up all your valuable data storage space by going into the Settings App,,General Settings Panel, in the right hand column, tap Storage & iCloud usage panel ( in iOS 11, it’s iPad Storage ), in the top Storage Panel, tap the Manage Storage panel, wait for a list of apps to generate that will tell you how much space each app is taking up on your iDevice.

Then, do a hard reset of your iPad by holding down both the Home and sleep/wake buttons simultaneously until your iPad goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons.

iDevices need to maintain, at the very least, a minimum of between 2-3 GBs of free data storage space, at all times, to

insure normal/nominal functionalities/operation and general overall performance of any iDevice.

Good Luck to You!

Can I put a rented iTunes movie onto a flash drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.