Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

To SSD or not to SSD?

Hi

So Ive just bought a 2nd hand mint 2012, 2.6, i7, Mini with a 1Tb fusion drive.

My original plan was to swap out any HD that was in what ever i bought with a 2Tb SSD but now I've bought a model with a fusion drive would I be better off upgrading both the SSD in the unit to a 500Gb and then upgrade the 1Tb HD to 2Tb HD or stick with my original 2Tb SSD choice

I hasn't bargained in getting a fusion drive option and thought that i would be getting just one drive in anything that bought.

I've budgeted for a 2Tb SSD so i'm really looking for performance rather than cost.

Thanks in advance

Posted on Jul 31, 2019 11:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2019 4:09 PM

Replacing the HDD with a large SSD is a good option, however I do not think that fusing SSDs would be any better than just running one large SSD or running macOS on one and storing data on the other. .

IMHO the single large SSD option, is better because it is easier to setup, maintain, troubleshoot, update and backup.....

FWIW I have a couple of upgraded Late 2012 Mac Mini's, one with dual SSDs and one with a single large SSD. The one with dual SSDs used to be a little faster with the SSDs in RAID mirroring, until APFS busted Raid setups. Today both are running strong with read/write speeds at around 480/520 MB/s.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2019 4:09 PM in response to Steve Burke

Replacing the HDD with a large SSD is a good option, however I do not think that fusing SSDs would be any better than just running one large SSD or running macOS on one and storing data on the other. .

IMHO the single large SSD option, is better because it is easier to setup, maintain, troubleshoot, update and backup.....

FWIW I have a couple of upgraded Late 2012 Mac Mini's, one with dual SSDs and one with a single large SSD. The one with dual SSDs used to be a little faster with the SSDs in RAID mirroring, until APFS busted Raid setups. Today both are running strong with read/write speeds at around 480/520 MB/s.

Aug 1, 2019 4:35 AM in response to Rudegar

Thanks for the replies. 👍

Pretty much what I thought then

This leads me on to another question.

If I wanted to remove the Fusion drive SSD, replace it with a 2Tb SSD and keep the 1Tb spinning HD (as an additional separate internal drive) rather than remove both OE drives and replace them both with the one 2Tb drive, how easy is it to ‘un-fusion’ the system so it thinks I have 2 separate drives rather than one ‘fusion’ drive.

Aug 1, 2019 4:56 AM in response to Steve Burke

Steve Burke wrote:

Forgot to mention that I'll primarily be working on very large image files in Photoshop.

You need all the RAM that you can stuff in the Mini since Photoshop is

such a memory pig. Also, depending on what you mean by "very large",

the max 16GB RAM of the 2012 Mini may not be enough. Then there is

also the issue of the integrated graphics. Many Photoshop actions and plugins

leverage the GPU.

My personal experience with PS and integrated graphics and Minis is

that PS works, but you will be waiting a lot of the time, especially

with "very large" files.

Aug 1, 2019 7:41 AM in response to Steve Burke

Steve Burke wrote:

If I wanted to remove the Fusion drive SSD, replace it with a 2Tb SSD and keep the 1Tb spinning HD (as an additional separate internal drive) rather than remove both OE drives and replace them both with the one 2Tb drive

It's totally up to you which combinations of drives you choose. Also keep in mind, that the original HDD and SSD will preform just as fast in external USB 3.0 enclosure's as the did internally.

Right here, I would like to add that both my Mac Mini's run much cooler and quieter without an HDD churning inside them.

how easy is it to ‘un-fusion’ the system so it thinks I have 2 separate drives rather than one ‘fusion’ drive.

Make a good backup using Time Machine and/or CCC. Get the 2T drive setup and running first. Then erase and re-format each of the original drives as separate drives. At this point, it will not matter if one is internal or both are in external exclosures.

Aug 1, 2019 1:16 PM in response to den.thed

I've googled how to separate the drives and i believe that i have to do that in Terminal.

I was going to replace the OE SSD with a Crucial MX500 2Tb SSD & the 1Tb spinning HD with a new one while I have the mini apart.

Looking at the price of a new 1Tb 7200rpm spinning HD though I think I'll either keep the OE one that's in there until it 'goes bang' or by a 1Tb SSD as they don't seem that much more.

Aug 2, 2019 7:57 AM in response to Steve Burke

I've googled how to separate the drives and i believe that i have to do that in Terminal.

Yes, it's very easy to un-fuse a Fusion Drive within Terminal using an external boot. Not knowing what OS is on the Mini, you should be able to boot into Internet Recovery (Command+Option+R) or from a USB thumb drive with an OS installer on it then use Terminal commands as you found via Google. I have done it many times and it's very easy.

Also, I agree with your thinking to simply replace the current SSD with a 2TB SSD and leave the 1TB HDD alone. Extra storage!

To SSD or not to SSD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.