Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Format external hard drive

Am I correct in that if I want to use my new external drive for a time machine backup on High Sierra I need to format it as HFS+?

The other her option is to use the included Paragon for Mac software included with the drive. I noticed of my two current external drives the older one is Mac OS X Extended which I presume is now the HFS+, and the other is NTFS. I haven’t noticed any issues writing to the NTFS drive on my Mac and I don’t recall installing any specific software on that drive although being a Seagate maybe it had something installed by default?

Posted on Jul 31, 2019 1:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2019 1:47 PM

dan weisberg wrote:

Am I correct in that if I want to use my new external drive for a time machine backup on High Sierra I need to format it as HFS+?

That's correct.

1 reply

Format external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.