Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot camp install fails - need 64-bin windows 10 or later iso file

I'm trying to install Windows 10 onto my Macbook Pro using Bootcamp. The install process fails with an error message of 'windows boot camp need 64-bin windows 10 or later iso file'

The Windows ISO used was downloaded using MediaCreationTool1903.exe in late July. MD5 sum of the ISO downloaded was 945a4a985c4be0caf4af3ea71d7ea035. The Mac is running the current version of OSX (updated it for the point release the other day).

I'm retrying the Windows ISO download to see if that fixes the issue. Is there anything else I should be trying? Is there an alternative source to get the Windows ISO from?

cheers

Michael

Posted on Jul 31, 2019 4:06 PM

Similar questions

11 replies

Sep 15, 2019 6:37 AM in response to Tinyvaldemar

Tinyvaldemar wrote:

Unfortunately that did not work for me. I Downloaded the ISO using the official Media Creation Tool from Microsoft and copied the ISO to my new IMac.

Windows Media Creation tool should not be used for Macs. You will need to directly download the ISO from Microsoft to the Mac's internal disk in any folder except Downloads.

Same error: Bootcamp requires a 64-bit version. I verified that this is a 64-bit version and also installed it on Hyper-V in Windows to make sure.

Windows MCT files will work on a PC and your test is fine.

See

Welcome to Boot Camp Assistant on Mac - Apple Support

Install Windows on your newer Mac using Boot Camp - Apple Support

Install Windows 10 on your Mac with Boot Camp Assistant - Apple Support

for reference.

Sep 15, 2019 6:51 AM in response to Tinyvaldemar

Tinyvaldemar wrote:

Media Creation Tool is the only supported way to download an ISO from Microsoft AFAIK.

No. That is incorrect. Windows MCT only works on a PC running Windows. if you use any browser in macOS, you cannot run MCT. The only option you have is to download the full ISO.

As a note, I do not create a startup disk, only downloading the windows.iso file.

That depends on your model.

• 2011 and older models need
    • a physical DVD for models with built-in Optical drives
    • an external Apple Superdrive or a USB2 Flash drive for Macs without built-in Optical drives, depending on the model
  • 2012-2014 models need a USB2 Flash drive of 16+GB
  • 2015 and later models do not need an external Installer, but use OSXRESERVED partition on the internal disk, to build/install Windows

Aug 1, 2019 1:48 PM in response to Loner T

According to the About This Mac screen it is a MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports). It is the one with a Touch Bar if that helps.

I've also re-downloaded the Windows ISO a few times using the Microsoft helper tool. Each time I get a different hash value and none of them work in Bootcamp. I'm selecting the Windows 10 64 bit edition each time and copying the downloaded ISO file onto my Mac.

Boot camp install fails - need 64-bin windows 10 or later iso file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.