Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pay at gas pump

I got $11.50 worth of gas at Sheetz, paying with my Apple Pay account. I printed the receipt and it says $11.50, but after leaving I got the notification of the transaction, and it says “Sheetz $85.63” which was the remaining balance on my account.

Is this a Apple Pay issue, or a Sheetz? Who do I contact to get my money back?

iPhone 7

Posted on Jul 31, 2019 7:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2019 3:43 PM

It looks like the 85.63 is just a temporary authorization or hold that the pump makes when you tap your device in order to let you start filling your tank (it's sort of a precaution, the gas station just wants to be sure there is up to a certain amount of money on your debit card before they let you start filling to make sure they get paid at the end). It's standard procedure, similar to what's done when you take a cab or check into a Hotel, since they don't know how much they're finally going to charge until later on. That being the case, the 85.63 should be canceled automatically within no more than a few days and only the 11.50 you actually bought will end up being charged to your bank account. Just check your statement to make sure. If you end up being charged more than 11.50, contact your bank and also report the issue via Wallet, as welafever suggested.

Note that Wallet doesn't always update transactions, so the 85.63 may remain on your Apple Pay recent transaction list in wallet, but shouldn't appear at all on your bank statement.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2019 3:43 PM in response to Bdg2230

It looks like the 85.63 is just a temporary authorization or hold that the pump makes when you tap your device in order to let you start filling your tank (it's sort of a precaution, the gas station just wants to be sure there is up to a certain amount of money on your debit card before they let you start filling to make sure they get paid at the end). It's standard procedure, similar to what's done when you take a cab or check into a Hotel, since they don't know how much they're finally going to charge until later on. That being the case, the 85.63 should be canceled automatically within no more than a few days and only the 11.50 you actually bought will end up being charged to your bank account. Just check your statement to make sure. If you end up being charged more than 11.50, contact your bank and also report the issue via Wallet, as welafever suggested.

Note that Wallet doesn't always update transactions, so the 85.63 may remain on your Apple Pay recent transaction list in wallet, but shouldn't appear at all on your bank statement.

Apple Pay at gas pump

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.