Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook not starting Safe Moe

Hi,

I have a Macbook Pro 2017, Mojave, and I need to enter the Safe Mode state, but it's not working.

I've tried every different "shift" key hold configuration, cmd+shift, external keyboard.... still nothing. It just boots normally, like nothing happened.

Is there any way for me to be able to access Safe Mode?

Posted on Aug 1, 2019 6:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2019 6:35 PM

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support explains how to enter "Safe Mode."

In my experience you have to depress/hold the "shift" key immediately after starting the computer. If you wait too long your computer will startup normally. Immediately is subjective, but you can experiment with the proper interval after selecting start/restart. Different shift key options will not work.

The "Terminal" method is also an option.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2019 6:35 PM in response to bdobroes

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support explains how to enter "Safe Mode."

In my experience you have to depress/hold the "shift" key immediately after starting the computer. If you wait too long your computer will startup normally. Immediately is subjective, but you can experiment with the proper interval after selecting start/restart. Different shift key options will not work.

The "Terminal" method is also an option.

Macbook not starting Safe Moe

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.