Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring 1 of 3 devices sharing an Apple ID to a new Apple ID?

Good day! I currently have three devices all sharing the same Apple ID, all are linked with iCloud:

1) iPhone 6

2) Ipad

3) MBP - contains all photos/videos in the Photos app. While all 130GB of these photos are backed up in iCloud, I have all original files saved on the MBP hard drive (not optimized). These photos are shared with devices 1 and 2 w/iCloud.

I have an iPhone XR coming tomorrow. I’d like to create a new Apple ID for the iPhone XR and then transfer the MBP to that same Apple ID. I want to transfer all data from the MBP (including all of the photos/files) to the same iCloud account that I’ll be using with the iPhone XR.

I don’t need the photos/files to be accessible by devices 1 and 2, but I’d still like to leave them linked together to the original AppleID.

Is this possible? And if so, any guidance on how to transfer over the MBP? Many thanks.

Posted on Aug 1, 2019 9:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2019 7:16 AM

On the MBP, do a backup, preferably 2 on 2 separate drives before doing anything.

There may be some data loss, but you can minimize it. If syncing photos with iCloud, ensure Optimization is turned off in Photos/Preferences/iCloud. Then make sure full resolution photos are on the computer. When signing out of iCloud, if asked whether you want to retain data, choose yes. Messages conversations will be lost if they are addressed to the ID. See the article below for other places that the old ID should be removed. See Winston Churchill's response in the below discussion. Also set up Family Sharing to keep access to your apps/purchases. 

Apple ID – Create

How to transfer all files from one iCloud account to another

Apple ID email address or password - What to do after you change

Family Sharing

Family Sharing - Set up

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2019 7:16 AM in response to credential

On the MBP, do a backup, preferably 2 on 2 separate drives before doing anything.

There may be some data loss, but you can minimize it. If syncing photos with iCloud, ensure Optimization is turned off in Photos/Preferences/iCloud. Then make sure full resolution photos are on the computer. When signing out of iCloud, if asked whether you want to retain data, choose yes. Messages conversations will be lost if they are addressed to the ID. See the article below for other places that the old ID should be removed. See Winston Churchill's response in the below discussion. Also set up Family Sharing to keep access to your apps/purchases. 

Apple ID – Create

How to transfer all files from one iCloud account to another

Apple ID email address or password - What to do after you change

Family Sharing

Family Sharing - Set up

Aug 6, 2019 8:06 AM in response to credential

You are welcome. Clarification question - are the photos on the 2 separate IDs the same photos except for the 2,000 photos missing from #3/#4?

1. Delete the photos from the Photos app or wipe the phone -see link at the end.
  2. You would have to manually delete the 32,000 to delete some and retain some.

If the #1/#2 devices re going to the kids, consider the below to make the devices 'their' devices.

Selling/Giving Away Device

Aug 2, 2019 8:58 PM in response to credential

Did you sign out of the old ID in System Preferences/iCloud before trying to sign in with the new ID? It sounds like you did. Have you tried restarting the computer and then tried to sign in with the new ID?

Might be a corrupt .plist.

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Quit System Preferences.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J.  When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder.  Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist.  Move the .plist to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application, and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

Aug 2, 2019 8:51 PM in response to Eric Root

I'm just having an issue. As suggested, I made two backups on two external drives and then, as per the Winston Churchill notes, I turned off of each iCloud service one at a time and saved all information on my MBP hard drive. I then turned signed out of the iCloud account (the one I plan on only using for the iPhone6 and iPad.)

I created the new AppleID and set it up on the iPhone XR with no issue.

I then went to the MBP and signed into iCloud with this new Apple ID and ran into an issue. It wouldn't let me sign in. I entered the new appleid/password...I waited and then it sent me back to the iCloud login screen and had the old appleID populated in the AppleID field. I changed this field back to the new appleID, entered the password and once again, it kicked back to the login screen with the old AppleID populated.

Am I doing something wrong?

At this point, I decided to try signing into the MBP using the old Apple ID...and it's working on signing in. It's been trying for 30+ minutes now. When I tried to close this system preferences/icloud box, the message was "System Preferences is busy and can't be closed. iCloud presences is signing you into your iCloud account."

Any ideas? Thanks.

Aug 2, 2019 9:04 PM in response to Eric Root

I did sign out of the old ID in System Preferences/iCloud (I hadn't signed out of any other apple id part...messages, itunes, etc.)

I haven't tried restarting thought. When I just attempted to do so, it says that "System Preferences (which is still working on signing in to the old apple ID), interrupted the restart. Every attempt to close System Preferences results in the same "System Preferences is busy and can't be closed. iCloud presences is signing you into your iCloud account." message.

The only way I know how to turn off the MBP is to hold the power button down. Would you suggest that? I don't know any other way to shut down System Preferences. When I right click on it, there is no Force Quit option.

Thanks.

Aug 6, 2019 7:41 AM in response to Eric Root

Perfect, everything went well and I now have the two separate iCloud accounts.

#1 (iPhone 6) and #2 (iPad) on one iCloud account, and #3 (MBP) and #4 (iPhone XR) on another. Thanks again. I'm having difficulty with one last step.

I had 32,000 photos on #3, these are now also copied onto #4.

I noticed that #1 and #2 still have 34,000 photos. (initially #1, 2 and 3 were all on the same iCloud account. I really don't have a good explanation as to why there are 2000 additional photos on #1 and 2 that weren't on #3)

Ultimately, what I'd like to accomplish is to remove the 32,000 photos on #1 and #2...these devices are going to kids and they now that there is a separate iCloud account on these devices, they can start with a fresh slate. If this is possible, that allows me to isolate the 2,000 additional pictures and transfer the ones I want to keep to #3 and #4. I have two questions:

1) What is the step needed to remove the photos from #1 and #2

2) Is there a way to only remove the 32,000 photos, leaving the 2,000 for me to look at separately?

Thanks again.

Lee

Aug 6, 2019 9:19 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks. Yes, #3 and #4 have 32,000 photos. #1 and #2 have these same 32,000 photos and another 2,000 photos. I'm trying to delete the 32,000 on #1 and #2 (duplicates) and isolate the remaining 2,000 photos on these same devices. Then, I'd like to review those 2,000 photos and keep the ones I still want before I delete all of them. (if that's possible.)

On the "selling/giving away device", I could definitely wipe the iPhone 6 completely...but if it isn't necessary, I'd like to keep the iPad as is, with the exception of removing the photos.

if I hear you correctly, the only way to delete photos from #1 and #2 (which will also remove them from the iCloud account associated with this apple ID) is to either:

1) to go "photos" in each of #1 and #2, select all and "delete"

2) wipe the devices

and that to isolate the 2,000 pictures, I pretty much have to manually delete the 32,000...or at a minimum have devices with the two libraries side by side and look for the differences that way.

Do I understand that correctly? Thanks

Lee

Transferring 1 of 3 devices sharing an Apple ID to a new Apple ID?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.