Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove child from family sharing

How do I remove a child from my family sharing plan? My daughter no longer uses that phone or Apple ID so its wasting my last stop and I’m not able to add her new device. Please help!

Posted on Aug 1, 2019 9:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2019 7:06 AM

All purchases made by an Apple ID are forever tied to it. So anything that was purchased by that account, will be unavailable once the account is removed or deleted.

Unless there's an exceptionally good reason to change an Apple ID, it should not be done. Your daughter should have continued to use that account, and update it as necessary if required. There is almost never a reason to stop using an Apple ID.

If the account is now over 13 years of age, it can be removed from the Family Group. Otherwise, you'll need to request that Apple delete it entirely, which will delete all purchases made by it and all content stored in iCloud by it will also be wiped out.

See the "Remove someone from your family sharing group" section here: Leave Family Sharing - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2019 7:06 AM in response to JoeD2257

All purchases made by an Apple ID are forever tied to it. So anything that was purchased by that account, will be unavailable once the account is removed or deleted.

Unless there's an exceptionally good reason to change an Apple ID, it should not be done. Your daughter should have continued to use that account, and update it as necessary if required. There is almost never a reason to stop using an Apple ID.

If the account is now over 13 years of age, it can be removed from the Family Group. Otherwise, you'll need to request that Apple delete it entirely, which will delete all purchases made by it and all content stored in iCloud by it will also be wiped out.

See the "Remove someone from your family sharing group" section here: Leave Family Sharing - Apple Support

Aug 2, 2019 7:01 AM in response to JoeD2257

Family Sharing -  Transfer a child to a different family group - Apple Support?

If necessary, contact Apple ID Support.

Apple ID Support

Apple ID Support (2) 

Apple Support by e-mail or chat    Work through the screens to get a chat option.  You may need to pick a problem that is slightly different than yours to get a chat option.  

Apple Support using Twitter

Or fill out and submit this form.          The form is for iTunes, but it will get passed to the ID Support section.  

Remove child from family sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.