Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which USB cable for target disk mode on MacBook Air?

I have a ~2106 or so MacBook Air that got stalled updating the MacOS (because it may have run out of storage space). I think I will need to wipe it and start over. But first I want to pull off a few files. It will boot into Target Disk mode, but I tried to connect a USB to USB-C cable to my MacBook Pro and the HD did not mount. I have another MacBook Air to which I can use too. Can anyone please guide me as to what USB to USB/USB-C cable I need to pull these files off? Thanks!

Posted on Aug 2, 2019 5:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2019 7:10 AM

Hello,

You will need a Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt cable. I am not sure which MacBook Air you have as Apple did not release a MacBook Air in 2016. MacBook Air 2018 and newer have a USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 port whereas older models have a Thunderbolt 2 port.

4 replies

Aug 2, 2019 12:08 PM in response to David M. Fresco

If the display shows a USB symbol while the Air is in Target Disk Mode, then you should be able to connect it using USB. If it doesn't automatically mount, then launch Disk Utility and manually mount/unlock the drive. Recently external drives do not automatically mount all the time.

If the Air's display does not show a USB symbol in Target Disk Mode, then you need a Thunderbolt cable/adapter as @zmclearan mentions.

Another option if you have a spare external drive is you could boot the Air in Recovery Mode or Internet Recovery Mode to install macOS onto the external, then Option Boot the external so you can access the internal drive.

Which USB cable for target disk mode on MacBook Air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.