Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Create resizable read/write encrypted folder using Disk Utility?

I have created a read/write access encrypted folder using Disk Utility. However it is now full without me realising it wouldn't automatically resize (for reference I'm used to using FolderLock on Windows but am trying to migrate to using only my Mac). Disk Utility won't let me resize the folder. I've read various threads about creating the folder using the "sparse" option but can't I can't find out how to create one like that as I don't see that option.

I am running Mojave version 10.14.5 on a MacBook Pro (late 2013).

Any help greatly appreciated!

Karen

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 4, 2019 1:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2019 1:39 AM

You can't make one from a folder. You have to create a blank image, then copy the documents into the mounted image.

You set the size of the blank image as the maximum it can grow. It will only take up the space that it actually held.

A Sparse Bundle is Time Machine friendly as it is made up of file "stripes" so that only changed stripes are re-copied, not the entire image.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2019 1:39 AM in response to kl_king

You can't make one from a folder. You have to create a blank image, then copy the documents into the mounted image.

You set the size of the blank image as the maximum it can grow. It will only take up the space that it actually held.

A Sparse Bundle is Time Machine friendly as it is made up of file "stripes" so that only changed stripes are re-copied, not the entire image.

Create resizable read/write encrypted folder using Disk Utility?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.