Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Verifying that there's no way to create a vCard from just the .abcdp files.

A couple months ago, my Contacts database (about 3,000 cards) started acting really wonky, in ways I hadn't ever seen, mainly just not syncing with iCloud and my iPhone. So from the Mac Pro's Contacts, which was definitely the most up-to-date, I did a File: Export: Contacts Archive, as I'd often done before, placed that on my Desktop, and then set about deleting all the others. I then went to restore the backup, and for unknown reasons, it just didn't work.

In any case, I've been hand rebuilding the contacts over the past couple months. And one of the tricks I've found is that in the backup Metadata folder are all 3,000 .abcdp files, and if I use the Quick Look function (just hitting the Spacebar or Command-Y) on each one separately, the contents show up, and by carefully placing my cursor into each field, hitting Command-A, and Command-C, I'm able to copy over notes, phone numbers, addresses, and anything else.

However, the "Add to Contacts" button, or dragging to the Contacts app, or any other method of trying to add to my Contacts app simply doesn't work.

I'm actually okay with just doing these 3,000 each manually, it gives me a chance to figure out who's who, who's still relevant, all that zen stuff.

But just to be super clear: there no way to import a solitary .abcdp file into a vCard, correct? I'm pretty sure the answer is no (not without the supporting rest of the folder files). But I wanted to double triple check. Thanks for reading this lengthy post.

Posted on Aug 4, 2019 8:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2019 9:09 AM

Those did used to be vCards. But, a couple iterations of the OS ago, they changed. I have not found a way to use them except as you found you can QuickLook them.

They are now XML Property Lists. The data is in there, but you would need something to extract the data into a vCard format.

Apple hasn't seemed to make Contacts able to read the Property Lists to import them.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2019 9:09 AM in response to braintoniq

Those did used to be vCards. But, a couple iterations of the OS ago, they changed. I have not found a way to use them except as you found you can QuickLook them.

They are now XML Property Lists. The data is in there, but you would need something to extract the data into a vCard format.

Apple hasn't seemed to make Contacts able to read the Property Lists to import them.

Aug 5, 2019 7:59 AM in response to Barney-15E

If those .abcdp files are indeed XML property lists aka plists then in theory you could write a script to read data in from the .abcdp file and output as an equivalent vCard file.

Apple's defaults program will only read files with a .plist file extension but the plutil tool does not care about the file extension and of course if your script does it itself it can just look for things like <key>something</key>

Aug 5, 2019 8:02 AM in response to John Lockwood

Thank you, John. This sounds extraordinary if it would work, sure would save me (and others) a lot of time.

The writing of this script is quite beyond me, don't even know what that is. But it sounds very promising. I may look around to pay someone to write such a script, if you know of a forum or person to ask such a thing, please pass it on. Thank you again.

Aug 5, 2019 8:44 AM in response to VikingOSX

I did not say it was going to be easy. :)

There is some stuff in there are one can see is relevant e.g. first name, Email, etc. it is mixed in with a lot of unhelpful stuff. You can use the following

plutil -convert xml1 sourcefile

and it will replace the contents with XML1 format i.e. plist format instead of binary format.

The hard part is scraping/parsing the .abcdp file, the easy part will be outputting as a .vcf (vCard) file.

Note: these files in their normal location of ~/Library/Application Support/AddressBook/Metadata/ are not accessible to command line tools unless you approve their access request in System Preferences -> Security & Privacy, you could and I would advise should copy them to a new location e.g. your Documents folder. Then not only have you got a backup but you avoid that security issue.

There are some libraries for python to help processing plists and you could then use that with a python script. Or you could brute force it - that is parse the file yourself in your script.

Getting back to a previous comment, there are some websites for posting 'bounties' to encourage developers to write you a solution for a (hopefully) modest fee. The following are not the one I was trying to remember but are similar, perhaps other people can suggest similar ones. See - http://www.koder.com/ or https://www.bountysource.com/

Verifying that there's no way to create a vCard from just the .abcdp files.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.